Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Proud parent
Lens: DA*300mm f4 Camera: K-5iis Photo Location: Front yard 
Posted By: micromacro, 06-01-2020, 08:36 PM

This proud parent tried to attack my cat and even me today.

Obviously, my cat was so surprised when that little loud beast pecked him in the butt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 447
06-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You get to close to the nest and they'll attack. Guess she thought you and cat were too close. Mockingbirds are famous for this, so are Blue Jays. I've seen both birds chasing a hawk in the sky. And the hawk skedaddling too, those beaks hurt.

Nice capture of a mommy bird mouth full of food for her babies.
06-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Actually, it's the opposite, they built the nest too close to us, and now claim the territory ))).

We had a break for couple of years, but now they came back to terrorize our/their perimeter, mostly at the front yard this time. Ones 4 of them was protecting our backyard, and it was amusing, but annoying as well. From the good point, it's possible to approach them so close, and they will hold their ground posing for good pictures ))).
06-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Actually, it's the opposite, they built the nest too close to us, and now claim the territory ))).

We had a break for couple of years, but now they came back to terrorize our/their perimeter, mostly at the front yard this time. Ones 4 of them was protecting our backyard, and it was amusing, but annoying as well. From the good point, it's possible to approach them so close, and they will hold their ground posing for good pictures ))).
Well, luckily for me, I have no low growing trees, they're tall water oaks, over 50 ft. And we have no eaves on the house like most houses have, our house is made of concrete blocks. The struts that do stick out are not the best for bird nests.

The only birds we have that build nests are house finches, and they usually build in a hanging basket or in our utility room. So far I've not been attacked by one of these mommies. Usually, they fly away from the nests, perhaps trying to lead us away.

06-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice images of both the bird and the cat. I have an elderly outdoor cat that gets constantly harassed by the scrub jays. They have even drawn blood on his head. The pour guy just sits there and takes it...
06-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Well, luckily for me, I have no low growing trees, they're tall water oaks, over 50 ft. And we have no eaves on the house like most houses have, our house is made of concrete blocks. The struts that do stick out are not the best for bird nests.
We have plenty of bushes and small trees all around. When some mockingbird starts singing at 2am sometimes, I think about one famous book.
06-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bo Diddley, "Mockingbird." Actually got to meet him once here in Portland, Oregon and got an autograph. I wish I had this kind of luck in capturing birds. I do enjoy them, but they can be very

elusive and skittish. Very nice work on this image and thanks for posting.

TT