Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Beach Sunset and a few others
Posted By: Tman, 11-01-2008, 11:11 PM

Hay guys, This is my first time posting. I have viewed these forums for quite some
time without being a member and today I decided to show you guys some of my
pic's.

I am a total noob. I dont understand my camera at all. Nor do I really understand
many of the basics of photography.

Anyway... Here are a few NoOb shots:
-no editing

me

my beach
-again NO editing
-all these pictures where from the same day in about 15min

more pictures found here: Flickr: Tyler Renner's Photostream
Views: 2,643
11-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome new member! Don't under estimate your abilities. You already know the most important thing about camera (how to point and shoot). The rest comes in time. The more you shoot the faster you learn.

Glad that you joined up. Look forward to seeing more posts from you.
11-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum.

I can only see three but what I see aren't bad for a complete noob. The first shot I can see (portrait) is fine , good exposure. Tip for composition, have the subject right of center for portraits (see Rule of Thirds below). In your shot if you had moved him to the right a little you would have captured the entire house as well, which would have made a much more interesting shot.

Second shot I can see (third you tried to post) not a bad composition, nice to see the little boy there to give some perspective, nice dramatic sky. Try to remember to keep the horizon level, it makes a difference. In this one, if the horizon was level it would be right in the centre, that's not so good. (see Rule of Thirds below)

Third shot I can see (fifth) Great dramatic sky again. The diagonal wave and horizon make nice angles. Horizon not straight again, although in this one because of that wave, you almost get away with it. (See Rule of Thirds below).

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a book that everyone will recommend; Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Above all, have fun.
11-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and congratulation on finding this forum,really worth it in the knowledge it gives

cheers

11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very good for a noob...or anyone else for that matter. I can only see 3 pics myself, but I can already see that you have a very good "eye" and know what a good photo is supposed to look like.

There are some really talented photogs on this forum. The more photos you look at here, the more you will have an idea of where your "eye" is going to lead you.

Welcome aboard!
11-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Guys

QuoteQuote:
I can only see three but what I see aren't bad for a complete noob. The first shot I can see (portrait) is fine , good exposure. Tip for composition, have the subject right of center for portraits (see Rule of Thirds below). In your shot if you had moved him to the right a little you would have captured the entire house as well, which would have made a much more interesting shot.
I will defiently keep that in mind. Though it was hard on this shot. I kinda just set the settings, set the timmer, and stepped infront of the camera ^_^

QuoteQuote:
I can only see 3 pics myself
The pictures are posted correctly and I couldnt figure out why they where not showing up :?

Though, I figured you guys may check out my link to the rest of my pictures when you had time

Again thank you, just took a few more pictrues this morning
11-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

your lost photos...

Looks like you forgot to take out the "http://" in the post box before pasting it in again from your link, so you ended up with it in there twice...

Very very nice last shot! Wow...

Your horizons do need to be watched for horizontal though in others. Nice work indeed, welcome to the forum.

11-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome and a great start. Those are some very good colors and composition. You are well on your way ! FYI I consider myself a noob still just with more posts than you ( I missed the whole Film SLR days ....)
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
thank you very much for putting those up for me
(wow... I feel stupid :/) lol

here are a few more from that day:

a little better with things being level

and a computer mod project im working on

its my old Alienware computer, thats been sitting in the shop for a long long time..
and Time has come to MOD

edit:

It was just an amazing day at the beach... When you look out over the ocean, to your right is a BEAUTIFUL sun set. Then right infront of you are these HUGE storm clouds
and all this lightning. To the left, is just plain calm sky's. It was amazing to see these 3x things meet and create just a wonderful amazing dinner setting for an out door
dinner.

I just want to capture all these memories/times. I really really thank you for the help that you guys have given me already. I will surely keep that stuff in mind!!

Btw... these pictures where shot with my
Pentax Wide 12-24 on a K10
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have to agree with everybody else in that you are definitely off to a good start. I also second Peterson's Understanding Exposure as a good basic book to get you started in understanding the more technical side of shooting.

BTW, you definitely made a good choice in getting that DA12-24, as you've already figured out how to use it well.

Welcome!
Heather