Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Smoking Log
Posted By: Damn Brit, 11-02-2008, 01:28 AM

We had our first storm of the season and I decided to make a fire to warm the house. I saw this opportunity for a fire photo with a different perspective.

The Larger version shows the grain in the wood much better; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6882_1.jpg

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Views: 3,165
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary,

When I first saw this post I have to admit that I was thinking more on the lines of a "Bob Marley" log.

LOL !

I like this photo though. I was just wondering, can you burn in the flame (in your photo editing software) a little to enhance the detail?

Ray

11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice shot Gary. I'm thinking if you used a longer exposure you might have melted your lens. Anyway I like it.
Susan
Thanks Susan, I actually went pretty close to minimum focusing distance and the lens did start to get warm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like the shot Gary. It's different and as Dave said, thinking outside the box. It is an idea that offers future possiblities. Fire is really tough to photograph as well.

I'm shocked you passed on the glorious opportunity with the "I thought it said pot" comment. You loosing your touch?
Thanks Peter, you're right about future possibilities, every fire is different for one thing.
I didn't miss the opportunity, I'm only a resident not a citizen yet. You never know who's being wiretapped.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
A unique view! The larger version is better... the texture gets a bit washed out in the smaller version. I wonder if stopping down a bit would have helped get more defined textures.
Yeah Hamid, that's why I linked to the larger. Setting an aperture for that was tough because of the flame in the log. I didn't try with a fill flash though, that may have worked. Below I've posted a shot at F8 to get 'inside' the log.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
It's like the flame is splitting the log Gary. That and the cracks make the composition!
I was kind of hoping it would peel open like a flower but alas it just burned across the centre. I agree with you about the two cracks making the composition, it would be even less interesting without them.

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Gary,

When I first saw this post I have to admit that I was thinking more on the lines of a "Bob Marley" log.

LOL !

I like this photo though. I was just wondering, can you burn in the flame (in your photo editing software) a little to enhance the detail?

Ray
In answer to your first comment, see my answer to Peter (above).

Not sure exactly what you mean by burn the flame in Ray. At the point I took this shot, there weren't any distinct flames, it was just one big glow.
Below is a shot taken at F8, a little closer and more of a downward angle to capture the grate. Obviously the log is just a black frame now because of the aperture. I suppose I could combine the two with some PP but I'd rather display them together than do that. If you want to have a go, knock yourself out.

Larger version is better and when you click that, the coals look great; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6888.jpg