Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Coyote in Yellowsrone
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 
Posted By: dwalt, 06-07-2020, 09:21 AM

Watched this coyote for quite a while...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 864
06-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Handsome looking coyote. Nice shots.
06-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice set of the coyote.
06-07-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Handsome looking coyote. Nice shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice set of the coyote.
Thanks,
It was windy and overcast and rained late in the afternoon. But I got to see two Bears swimming, a Coyote and a Bald Eagle having lunch so it was a good day.

06-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. I really missed not getting my Yellowstone fix last month. Another burger in Cooke City would be great too.

Is that pups in the background in the 7th shot from the top?
06-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nice shots. I really missed not getting my Yellowstone fix last month. Another burger in Cooke City would be great too.

Is that pups in the background in the 7th shot from the top?

No, Just his legs. I watched him quite a while and he was all alone. Park is different this year. Can't take Dunn Raven pass all year so its the long way through Mammoth Hot Springs. The road from Norris to Mammoth is finally done so
its nice now. The coyote was at the top of the road just before the 6% grade down to Mammoth. There is a new road there and a new trail and virtually no people.....
By the way the Osprey nest is in use again this year. Mom is sitting on eggs.
06-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
No, Just his legs. I watched him quite a while and he was all alone. Park is different this year. Can't take Dunn Raven pass all year so its the long way through Mammoth Hot Springs. The road from Norris to Mammoth is finally done so
its nice now. The coyote was at the top of the road just before the 6% grade down to Mammoth. There is a new road there and a new trail and virtually no people.....
I got some shots of one of the adults landing in that Osprey nest. The nest seems bigger and deeper this year.

06-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series. You did have a good day with those sightings!
06-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Wonderful images... He is looking very healthy and well fed, great to see.
06-08-2020, 04:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
Thanks for the update. Good news about the road. The drive down into Mammoth from Golden Gate was getting "interesting". Glad the osprey nest is back. Today I am going to Montezuma National Wildlife refuge. There is a bald eagle nest there where the chicks are fed by three adults. It has been that way for almost 20 years. With three adults providing food, the chick survival rate is very high. Going to try to find it and get some shots. Funny that if I am driving 50 mile to the refuge or 2,100 miles to Yellowstone, I use the same interstate. I90 passes a lot of interesting things along the way.

Once you see the obligatory thermal features I prefer the northern part of the park for wildlife viewing and scenery. There an old one way dirt road that leads from the Mammoth area down to the north entrance. It is the original road into the park form Gardiner. Next time we are there I am giving it a go. I want to do the Blacktail Plateau Drive too. That would require a summertime visit. It is never open when I am there.
06-08-2020, 04:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Thanks for the update. Good news about the road. The drive down into Mammoth from Golden Gate was getting "interesting". Glad the osprey nest is back. Today I am going to Montezuma National Wildlife refuge. There is a bald eagle nest there where the chicks are fed by three adults. It has been that way for almost 20 years. With three adults providing food, the chick survival rate is very high. Going to try to find it and get some shots. Funny that if I am driving 50 mile to the refuge or 2,100 miles to Yellowstone, I use the same interstate. I90 passes a lot of interesting things along the way.

Once you see the obligatory thermal features I prefer the northern part of the park for wildlife viewing and scenery. There an old one way dirt road that leads from the Mammoth area down to the north entrance. It is the original road into the park form Gardiner. Next time we are there I am giving it a go. I want to do the Blacktail Plateau Drive too. That would require a summertime visit. It is never open when I am there.
I checked Blacktail Plateau Road this weekend. Its closed with a chunk of road dug up in front of it...not promising. One of the Black Bear I saw was the same area where it was when you were here a few years ago. You'll have to let me know about the other road.
06-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't have thought that coyotes could look as cute as he does in the 4th and 5th shot. Great images!
06-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful wildlife images. Beautifully captured and many thanks for sharing.

TT