Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Backlit Bear
Lens: A 400/5.6 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Golden, BC 
Posted By: bertwert, 06-08-2020, 07:46 PM

Too bad it's soft, the bear's got a nice pose here.

However, making up for the lack of detail, here he is later on. Quite close, as this isn't cropped...

Views: 913
06-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Too bad it's soft, the bear's got a nice pose here.
Probably a combination of missed focus and significant cropping on a 16 Mpix image.
here he is later on. Quite close
Is the bear in the woods and you are in an open clearing? You do realize that while a black bear isn't as fast or strong as a grizzly, they are more easily irritated and prone to unpredictable behaviour. Advice from a long time BC Environment guy I knew in Prince George (where bears constantly interrupt school recesses and backyard activities) is that if a black bear starts to attack, fight back. If a black bear thinks you are a pushover, they are more courageous.
06-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice wildlife images, Robert.

TT
06-09-2020, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Too bad it's soft
It's always hard to get a sharp image when your running as fast as possible, shooting blind over your shoulder...

06-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Probably a combination of missed focus and significant cropping on a 16 Mpix image.
Not a significant crop, just the sides off to make a landscape orientation shot into a portrait one. But yes, missed focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Is the bear in the woods and you are in an open clearing? You do realize that while a black bear isn't as fast or strong as a grizzly, they are more easily irritated and prone to unpredictable behaviour. Advice from a long time BC Environment guy I knew in Prince George (where bears constantly interrupt school recesses and backyard activities) is that if a black bear starts to attack, fight back. If a black bear thinks you are a pushover, they are more courageous.
We're on a trail here (or road by the faintest definition...) and it's right by the house and therefore animals, it was acting abnormally just standing there with several of us yelling and air horns, and a large barking dog. Not displaying any outright aggressive behaviour, but almost seemed dazed or confused.
06-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

TT
Thanks Tony
06-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's always hard to get a sharp image when your running as fast as possible, shooting blind over your shoulder...
It's a natural reaction to take a step or two back when a bear stands all the way up - and also for the mind to forget about focusing....

06-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not displaying any outright aggressive behaviour, but almost seemed dazed or confused.
It may have been wondering why you all were behaving so oddly!
As came up in another recent thread, it will always be hard to autofocus on something black. Maybe place your red focusing square on the rim lighting boundary on the bear's left shoulder/neck?
06-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
step or two back
Try using the word many... in quick succession, away from said Bear.
06-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Try using the word many... in quick succession, away from said Bear.
Running away says Prey! Get big, get loud! if you want them to leave. Never run away.
06-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Running away says Prey! Get big, get loud! if you want them to leave. Never run away.
Great... I'll take you with me next time I'm front of the Bear, where you do your thing and I'll do mine.
06-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great... I'll take you with me next time I'm front of the Bear, where you do your thing and I'll do mine.
Well based on how much I have been eating the last 5 months, I am getting the "big" part down pat!
06-09-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Well based on how much I have been eating the last 5 months, I am getting the "big" part down pat!
Great, so you do big and I'll do the loud... but it will get quieter quite quickly as I get further away.
06-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

TT
I think so too, Robert. I like the way the bear in the first one is "outlined" (for lack of a better word) against the background.

When I was a boy in the '50s and early '60s, we visited places like Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain National Park and the Smoky Mountain National Park. Bears roamed around rather freely (because idiot tourists - like us - would feed 'em). On one trip to the Smokies, we were out of the car looking around and my 13-year-old head was exhibiting its usual lack of focus. As a result, I walked directly into the side of a momma bear leading her cubs across the road. My mom all but passed out, but the momma bear paid little attention - no doubt she understood I was at an age where such things should be ignored.

Jer
06-09-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I like photographing bears with a crowd of 6 people. Even then I've had my buddy Paul tugging at my sleeve to get out of there. But then I was shooting with my 60-250. 400mm is much safer.

When shooting a bear with the 60-250, focus breathing really matters.

Last edited by normhead; 06-09-2020 at 06:09 PM.