Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Delicate Arch at the end of the day (so close I could touch it), UTAH.
Lens: 67 late 55 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax 67 Photo Location: Utah. ISO: 100 Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM

In 1998, I was in great shape (5'10", 275 lbs of muscle) and I was able to hike up to Delicate Arch, laden like a mule with photographic gear (Pentax 67, late-model 55 mm f/4, Manfrotto 028 tripod, etc) in 110 degree weather. The trail was poorly marked and suddenly, after climbing for maybe an hour, I found myself facing the Arch. This icon is standing on a narrow ridge with dizzying slopes down on each side. The place was so narrow I could not even extend the legs of my tripod and I had to take this picture handheld in dimming light. I was alone and, if I had fallen, nobody would have found me for days or weeks. After taking this picture, I hurried back down before darkness fell for good and created dangerous walking conditions. I left the Park and went to nearby Moab to take a cone of ice cream and drink cold water. Useless to say surviving those conditions and getting my picture was one of the best moments of my life. Copy of my original print taken with a Canon compact camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX240 HS  Photo 

Views: 421
06-18-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly it is a great photograph, certainly not worth risking your safety. It would seem to me to be the responsibility of The State Of Utah to provide some type of safety along the trails in order

to avoid any sudden falls. As you had stated, one fall, and that's all. Happy you made it out safely to continue your photography. )

Cheers,

TT
06-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you. I took this picture 22 years ago on film, I couldn't do it anymore now that both of my knees had to be replaced with orthopedic implants. My best "exploring days" are over ... lol!

Regards