Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12 Likes  #1
Impromptu Dolomites sunrise
Lens: Hasselblad XCD 90mm Camera: Hasselblad X1D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: The Madshutter, 06-21-2020, 10:36 AM

One morning, on the Dolomites, driving back to the hotel after our sunrise session we saw some incredible light hitting a distant peak. We just had the time to stop, take the camera out and take a couple of shots, and the light was gone. I almost never shoot handheld, but this is one of the very few images I didn't have the time to setup a tripod and so I did. 1/90 seconds exposure with my Hasselblad X1D, Hasselblad XCD 90mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra polariser.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Views: 773
06-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
One morning, on the Dolomites, driving back to the hotel after our sunrise session we saw some incredible light hitting a distant peak. We just had the time to stop, take the camera out and take a couple of shots, and the light was gone. I almost never shoot handheld, but this is one of the very few images I didn't have the time to setup a tripod and so I did. 1/90 seconds exposure with my Hasselblad X1D, Hasselblad XCD 90mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra polariser.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
You seized the moment .
06-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Congratulations! A case of being in the right place at the right time!

Regards,
Gordon.
06-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow, the detail is phenomenal!

06-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nature waits for no man.

A beauty
06-25-2020, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
You seized the moment .
It was actually fun, and a welcome change to my usual way of working

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

Congratulations! A case of being in the right place at the right time!

Regards,
Gordon.
Thank you very much Gordon, glad you enjoyed it!

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow, the detail is phenomenal!
Thank you very much Rob! Yes, the 90 XCD is a crazy sharp lens, one of the sharpest I have ever used!

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nature waits for no man.

A beauty
Indeed she doesn't! Thank yo very much, glad you enjoyed it!

Best regards,

Vieri
06-26-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you very much Rob! Yes, the 90 XCD is a crazy sharp lens, one of the sharpest I have ever used!
My Dad bought a Blad for the company he managed back in the 70's and it was amazing back then. I can't hope that my K3 can compete on lens or megapixels, but now you have me wondering which of my wide angle lenses is the sharpest!

06-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dramatic and breathtaking! Another wonderful photo, Vieri.

Jer
06-28-2020, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Dad bought a Blad for the company he managed back in the 70's and it was amazing back then. I can't hope that my K3 can compete on lens or megapixels, but now you have me wondering which of my wide angle lenses is the sharpest!
Hello Rob, Blads are great, and pretty much always have been (minus a few Sony rebranded wooden handle cameras and the like) About sharpness, you can see in my reviews how I test for it, perhaps it might give you some ideas: HASSELBLAD XCD 35-75MM IN-DEPTH REVIEW | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Dramatic and breathtaking! Another wonderful photo, Vieri.

Jer
Thank you very much indeed Jer, I am glad you enjoyed it!

Best regards,

Vieri
06-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hello Rob, Blads are great, and pretty much always have been (minus a few Sony rebranded wooden handle cameras and the like) About sharpness, you can see in my reviews how I test for it, perhaps it might give you some ideas: HASSELBLAD XCD 35-75MM IN-DEPTH REVIEW | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer
I've done some tests with a resolution target in the past but nothing as detailed as what you have done!
06-30-2020, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've done some tests with a resolution target in the past but nothing as detailed as what you have done!
Thank you Rob, much appreciated! Yes, I love to know what my lenses can do in shooting situations similar to what I encounter in the field... Best regards,

Vieri
06-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

just a beautiful image Vieri! I love that it was spur of the moment and you still captured it so well. Proof that it is the person behind the camera.
07-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
just a beautiful image Vieri! I love that it was spur of the moment and you still captured it so well. Proof that it is the person behind the camera.
Thank you very much indeed, I am glad you enjoyed it! While I love the calm pace of working on a tripod, sometimes it feels good to revert back to my street photography & people photography beginnings and feel that adrenaline rush!

Best regards,

Vieri