Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Sign Guard
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE @170mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Flowood, MS ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Larrymc, 06-24-2020, 07:33 PM

Sign Guard?
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

For the past few times I have been out to my favorite plane spotting location I get visited by a Mockingbird that flies over to this sign and perches to pose a while while he watches me.
Views: 450
06-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shot, Larry. It is always good when one feels the wildlife wants to be friends!!
06-25-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mr. LarryMac, one outstanding wildlife image. So this is a Mockingbird, eh? Well done, sir and many thanks for posting.

tt
06-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great catch, Larry. We've got lots of those guys and gals around here - one of the very few birds I actually recognize!

Jer

06-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Excellent shot, Larry. It is always good when one feels the wildlife wants to be friends!!
Thanks for the comment, it's obvious that you have never felt the wrath of a Mockingbird.....LOL. Its hard to be friends with a Mockingbird.....LOL. They are furious defenders of their nest area ,which could be a radius of 200 feet or more. We have several nesting pairs somewhere near our home and they have a daily battle with the neighborhood Crows. I watched a pair of Mockingbirds double team a Crow for about 20 minutes before the Crow was able to escape, they show no mercy at all!
06-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Mr. LarryMac, one outstanding wildlife image. So this is a Mockingbird, eh? Well done, sir and many thanks for posting.

tt
Thanks, Tony, My Friend! Yep this is a Mockingbird, they are our state bird and as such they and their nests are protected by state law. They are tough customers and don't hesitate to defend their nests. Thanks for the visit, My Friend!
06-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great catch, Larry. We've got lots of those guys and gals around here - one of the very few birds I actually recognize!

Jer
Thanks, Jer, my Friend! These guys populate pretty much most of the states of the US but are probably more widespread in the South even though they are called the Northern Mockingbird. I love to listen to them as they perck high near the peak of a tree and sing for hours. Thanks for the visit!!

06-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks for the comment, it's obvious that you have never felt the wrath of a Mockingbird.....LOL. Its hard to be friends with a Mockingbird.....LOL. They are furious defenders of their nest area ,which could be a radius of 200 feet or more. We have several nesting pairs somewhere near our home and they have a daily battle with the neighborhood Crows. I watched a pair of Mockingbirds double team a Crow for about 20 minutes before the Crow was able to escape, they show no mercy at all!
Heh. Here Downunder i have seen a single willy wagtail, a small bird, chase off crows many times, sometimes almost landing on their backs in mid-flight. Sounds like your mocking bird has a similar feisty temperament!
06-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Heh. Here Downunder i have seen a single willy wagtail, a small bird, chase off crows many times, sometimes almost landing on their backs in mid-flight. Sounds like your mocking bird has a similar feisty temperament!
Yep they are fearless fighters, I've had them hit me on the head while walking close to a nest tree! The moral of that story is to always wear a cap when close by their nest area!