Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Dry run for an upcoming canoe trip
Lens: DA 18-135, HD DA 55-300 ED WR, DA 15 Ltd Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Blackstrap Lake ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RGlasel, 07-04-2020, 04:10 PM

I started a new job this spring, so my summer vacation plans are very modest. I want to do a two night, two day canoe trip in Prince Albert National Park, with back country camping and the woman I've been married to for the last thirty years would make my life miserable if I didn't take her with me. It's been about twenty years since the two of us were in a canoe together, but we still remember how badly it ended. Hence the need to do a dry run for a few hours on the water to see if we will both come back alive from a longer trip. Finally got some warm sunny weather on a weekend without gale force winds, so we loaded a canoe on the top of my wife's mini-van and headed to Blackstrap Provincial Park, 40 kilometers south of home.

Views: 327
07-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope your trip turns out to be as successful as these photos
07-05-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Dry run for an upcoming canoe trip
I expected to see a canoe on the front lawn...
07-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. Good luck with your trip and I look forward to seeing some photos!

07-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I hope your trip turns out to be as successful as these photos
Thank you for your kind remarks, much appreciated.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I expected to see a canoe on the front lawn
Eliminates the need for lifejackets, but requires a ridiculous amount of work to move a very short distance. It was a dry trip due to the absence of fermented or distilled beverages.
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Good luck with your trip and I look forward to seeing some photos!
Thank you! Let's just say that I'm more worried about spouse attacks than bear attacks on my next trip.
07-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice set, love # 5. Hope that you have a good trip.
07-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
love # 5
Thanks, the pelicans didn't try to dive bomb us, but they certainly weren't skittish, either. I had to zoom out to get all of this one in the frame.
07-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks, the pelicans didn't try to dive bomb us, but they certainly weren't skittish, either. I had to zoom out to get all of this one in the frame.
The Common Loon is the one that worries me about dive bombing. Years ago I was fly fishing a very small lake and a couple of Loons flew very close...buzzed me. I took the hint and moved on.

Nice pix. I miss being out in our freighter canoe. Was nice to glide around early in the morning.

07-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! My GF / Wife of 30-years is queasy in a canoe. Wish she weren't. We could have fun like this.
07-06-2020, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix. I miss being out in our freighter canoe. Was nice to glide around early in the morning.
Thanks, this was a green Hellman epoxy canoe, which is no longer being made, which is too bad they were a great combination of lightweight and strong and easier to repair than a Kevlar canoe.
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My GF / Wife of 30-years is queasy in a canoe. Wish she weren't. We could have fun like this.
My wife is a strong swimmer and I'm not; she also has taken a few courses to be a certified instructor, so she can be a supervisor when the canoe club at the high school she works at goes on 3 day trips. I am a self-taught paddler who has a strong stroke and likes to get in a rhythm to make good time on the water, but if my partner isn't in sync with me and takes too long to react, it frustrates me and the fireworks start. Considering how acrimonious our 2.5 hours together on the water could have been, it turned out okay.
07-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've been there with my wife. I just dropped all that stuff about rhythm, time and destination most of the time. If it really matters, like sudden weather, she understands what's important. One thing that might help is to have her steer and boss you around. Shift some gear around to keep the canoe kind of level - if you're heavy and in front, the canoe will rotate around you and be hard to steer.

Pentax user Tamia Nelson has some advice and interesting reading on her site. Editors’ Selections | Back In the Same Boat
07-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Originally posted by lesmore49 Nice pix. I miss being out in our freighter canoe. Was nice to glide around early in the morning.

Thanks, this was a green Hellman epoxy canoe, which is no longer being made, which is too bad they were a great combination of lightweight and strong and easier to repair than a Kevlar canoe.

We have a 17.5 foot Old Town Square Stern canoe, which has a few ways of moving. Paddle, outboard (our 4 HP Evinrude) and rowing. It has oarlocks and although I've paddled and used the outboard, I've never rowed it . It is very slow, no matter whether I'm providing the power or the Evinrude is propelling it.

It is made of some kind of plastic, can't remember which....it weighs in at 119 lbs., so no lightweight, it is stable and has a fair payload rating. It is also green. I don't use it much anymore, think my son will take it over. He already has roof racks on his truck.

But I've had a lot of fun with it over the years.