Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
more longer lens images... with FA* super telephoto
Posted By: Marc Langille, 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM

Links to previous posts using this lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40454-sorry-some-more-fa-250-600-5-6-ed-if-images.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/39868-special-time-special-lens-larger-images.html

Only a few for now... All shots in AV mode, EV -0.3... only the last image is cropped.

Great Blue Heron (unfortunately back-lit, but I was limited with only several vantage points):

EXIF:
Date Taken 2008-10-17 00:00:00
Camera PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K10D
Exposure Time 0.002s (1/500)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 100
Focal Length 330mm (495mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3872 x 2592

Re-posted - this cropped image is now my desktop at work:

EXIF:
Exposure Time 0.0012s (1/800)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 100
Focal Length 250mm (375mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 1721 x 1039

Drake Mallard - the color on the right is a foreground OOF patch of tall brown grass:

EXIF:
Date Taken 2008-10-17 15:09:37
Exposure Time 0.0005s (1/2000)
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 320
Focal Length 450mm (675mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3872 x 2592
Exposure Program aperture priority
Exposure Bias -3/10 EV
Exposure Mode manual

Crop:

That's it for now... I'm running a CHKDSK on my external Hard Drive... only at 90% done... Good news is that I still have the SD card with all of the images...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 11-03-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Views: 3,598
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice Marc, it looks like you turned that backlighting to your advantage.
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As always these are wonderful images Marc, I envy the Blue Heron shots. I spent a week on PEI this fall, there were lots of blue herons but one could not not get anywhere near enough for a decent shot.

Take care,
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great series as always

11-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
That's it for now... I'm running a CHKDSK on my external Hard Drive... only at 90% done... Good news is that I still have the SD card with all of the images...

Regards,
Marc
Great shots. Promise you won't look at my recent duck shots ok? Seriously, it's inspiring to see you're work... It makes me want to go bird-stalking.

One does not run CHKDSK lightly, so good luck with the recovery.

EDIT: I'm surprised to see you used -0.3 EV. Is that just a particularity of this lens? I would think the camera would tend to underexpose from all the light bouncing around off the water.
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive shots! Do you use autofocus or manual focus?

I'm considering a long A* lens, so I'm interested in your thoughts on autofocus vs. manual focus for shots like these.
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Marc... not bad for a X Canadian.... Beautiful images... JIMBO

11-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice Marc, it looks like you turned that backlighting to your advantage.
Thanks Gary, I appreciate it! Sometimes I dislike being at the mercy of the situation...

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
As always these are wonderful images Marc, I envy the Blue Heron shots. I spent a week on PEI this fall, there were lots of blue herons but one could not not get anywhere near enough for a decent shot.

Take care,
Thanks Heinrich! The crazy part is the first two images are not very long focal lengths!

This bird was (by far) the most approachable GBH I've ever seen. Not sure if it was so intent on hunting or just a younger adult ignoring me... Either way, I was able to take advantage of the opportunity!

Regards,
Marc
11-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great series as always
Thank you Pat - much appreciated! I hope you are well?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Marc... not bad for a X Canadian.... Beautiful images... JIMBO
Ahh... sliding in a comment after you "went to the dog house" for another post Mr. Jimbo??

Seriously, thanks and I appreciate it good sir.

Regards,
Marc
11-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Great shots. Promise you won't look at my recent duck shots ok? Seriously, it's inspiring to see you're work... It makes me want to go bird-stalking.
Thanks Josh - you are very kind! Just remember I bascially had ZERO birding experience until this year. Practice, practice, practice...

One does not run CHKDSK lightly, so good luck with the recovery.
Agreed, and the $MFT, etc. was dorking up. My fault for not paying attention - the drive is fine now. It was just some file corruption with some files (just PSD) when running Photoshop.

No big deal, although it takes a loooong time running a full CHKDSK on a 640GB HDD...

EDIT: I'm surprised to see you used -0.3 EV. Is that just a particularity of this lens? I would think the camera would tend to underexpose from all the light bouncing around off the water.
Excellent question Josh!

You are correct (your comment) about the possibility of undexposure - I had several, and a simple Levels correction in CS3 took care of business, since I shoot in RAW.

Primary reason for the choice: to ensure I don't mess around too much worrying about the correct EV for the subject bird. Several had white feathers in their plumage, and if I exposed at EV 0, I am certain I would have blown the highlights on the white feathers. Normally lighter colored birds should be underexposed by some, and white birds by up to EV -1 or EV -1.3.

The deciding factor for this choice" the lighting kept changing by the minute (partly cloudy skies). Please check out my other linked posts above to see what I mean.

Again, thank you for looking and commenting.

Regards,
Marc
11-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Impressive shots! Do you use autofocus or manual focus?

I'm considering a long A* lens, so I'm interested in your thoughts on autofocus vs. manual focus for shots like these.
Thank you Ole!! I was fortunate enough to have some quality time with the owner's FA* 250-600/5.6 for a few hours. We went out to his favorite spot and did some shooting.

Considerations regarding the long A* lens: I would recommend you check the specs on the infinity focus point of the glass in question (is it the A* 400/2.8 Tom is selling?) since you are often close to that point of focusing at infinity. Only you will know your subjects normal distance from the lens. I would recommend that you buy it if the glass is good and no other concerns about the lens!

Does that help?
11-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ahh... sliding in a comment after you "went to the dog house" for another post Mr. Jimbo??

Seriously, thanks and I appreciate it good sir.
Marc, your a gentleman and as always your work is inspiring. You are welcome back to Canada anytime! Cheers JIMBO
11-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Marc.... It is amazing that you can take such amazing wildlife images when certain ship-jumpers claim it is impossible with Pentax equipment...
11-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Marc.... It is amazing that you can take such amazing wildlife images when certain ship-jumpers claim it is impossible with Pentax equipment...
Ditto!

Marc, As a serious bird lover, I especially appreciate these artistically composed and sensitively executed photos. Truly fine work.
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Thank you Ole!! I was fortunate enough to have some quality time with the owner's FA* 250-600/5.6 for a few hours. We went out to his favorite spot and did some shooting.

Considerations regarding the long A* lens: I would recommend you check the specs on the infinity focus point of the glass in question (is it the A* 400/2.8 Tom is selling?) since you are often close to that point of focusing at infinity. Only you will know your subjects normal distance from the lens. I would recommend that you buy it if the glass is good and no other concerns about the lens!

Does that help?
Thanks and yes. I was actually thinking to get a 600mm 645 lens - they are not too high in price, but on the negative it is manual focus and manual exposure on the K10/20D.