Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Pinecone crunch
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 07-09-2020, 03:54 AM

Pinecone crunch
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Male Gang-gang feeding on a pine tree.

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 09:27 PM ----------

And to give an idea of the amount of data in the image, here's almost 1:1 of the pixels.

Gang Gang up close
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 606
07-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Rob,

It is a wonder you were able to get close enough or aren't they that timid?

Regards,
Gordon
07-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
It is a wonder you were able to get close enough or aren't they that timid?
They are much more timid than Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Galahs or Corellas. This guy was busy eating, so he wasn't too concerned about me. He was also quite a long way off the ground, which probably made him more relaxed, plus the tree is right next to a public farm garden where there's often people around, so perhaps he's used to having company. One of the people who had a veggie plot told me that there's a group of four or five Gang-gangs which are frequently in that tree. There's a couple of pairs which drink at the waterfall in the National Botanic Gardens which are more timid. They only come down for a drink near sunset when visitors have mostly gone.
07-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful capture Rob! I love those crazy looking crest feathers

07-09-2020, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Wonderful capture Rob! I love those crazy looking crest feathers
Aren't they cool? All the other Australian Cockatoos went for smooth crests, but perhaps the Gang-gang doesn't mind a bit of drag.
Canberra has a lot of Coackatoos - I've seen Sulphur-crested, Yellow-tailed Black, Glossy Black, Gang-gang, Corella (little and long-beaked) as well as Galahs. There's plenty of galahs in Canberra, as I'm sure most Australians would agree.

(In Australian idiom, calling someone a galah means that they are a bit of an idiot, and most Australians associate Canberra with Federal parliament...)
07-09-2020, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
(In Australian idiom, calling someone a galah means that they are a bit of an idiot, and most Australians associate Canberra with Federal parliament...)
I think that is a common theme of capitals of all types throughout the world. I live near Sacramento, CA and there are nothing but galahs around here!
07-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I think that is a common theme of capitals of all types throughout the world. I live near Sacramento, CA and there are nothing but galahs around here!
I've been to California several times, but never Sacramento, so I'll take your word for it, but it sounds likely!

07-09-2020, 11:25 PM - 2 Likes   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Pinecone crunch
Now there's a beak fit for purpose... absolutely designed for that job.
07-10-2020, 03:00 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now there's a beak fit for purpose... absolutely designed for that job.
Yep! I don't recommend putting fingers anywhere in reach of a Cockatoo beak.
07-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing shot, Rob, of what is - to me - an amazing critter!

Jer
07-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great capture Rob! You have some colorful characters in your area to take pictures of. In the cropped image it looks like he is having a laugh at you working so hard to take the shot. Frame the cropped version, it just makes me smile when I look at it. You could sell lots of that image to the tourists when they come back.
07-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shot, Rob. Curious thatching on the rear of its head! I am still jealous of the bird life you are finding around your office and home area there in Canberra!

Male Gang-gang feeding on a pine tree.

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 09:27 PM ----------

And to give an idea of the amount of data in the image, here's almost 1:1 of the pixels.

And you are still teasing me about the 150-450mm lens!!! But yes, excellent detail showing in that crop!
07-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Amazing shot, Rob, of what is - to me - an amazing critter!
Thanks Jer! They're amazing to me and relatively rare in Australia, so it's good to see them around in Canberra.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Great capture Rob! You have some colorful characters in your area to take pictures of. In the cropped image it looks like he is having a laugh at you working so hard to take the shot. Frame the cropped version, it just makes me smile when I look at it. You could sell lots of that image to the tourists when they come back.
Thanks for the idea! I'll keep trying to get a closer shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Wonderful shot, Rob. Curious thatching on the rear of its head! I am still jealous of the bird life you are finding around your office and home area there in Canberra!
You mean his crest? It's a strange crest for sure. I'm lucky that I have a ramsar designated wetland five minutes drive from my office. I've identified 84 species of birds there, and 166 in the ACT.

QuoteQuote:
And you are still teasing me about the 150-450mm lens!!! But yes, excellent detail showing in that crop!
Sorry! That's why I really want that new APSC camera. The results I've seen from others with the K1 have been impressive too.