Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
"Casse-croûte" in Quebec City, Pentax 645Z + 67 M* 300 mm f/4 @ f/8.
Lens: 67 M* 300 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax 645Z Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 07-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Still-life of a creamery located across the street from where I had parked my van. Focusing is critical and rather difficult. This combo weighs a ton, is difficult to mount on the tripod (I feared dropping it more than once) but the result was interesting, showing the descriptive quality of this 67 lens. Automatic exposure in Av mode of 1/30 sec and f/8.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-16-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Views: 971
07-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
Forum Member

Good color, quelle sorte de casse-croûte pour vous? Jambon? ;o)
07-11-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello !

The French term "Casse-croûte" refers to an unsophisticated restaurant serving rapidly prepared meals. "Casser la croûte" (literally "to break the crust") means to eat simply, like a ham sandwich, a hamburgher, soup or fries. The menu will offer a limited array of very common foods and you can be sure you won't enjoy a "gastronomic experience" there. This particular place is also a creamery serving soft ice cream.

Regards
07-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice street/storefront image. It shows off the art of advertising.

07-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha ha ! You mean they're doing too much ... I agree with you ... lol !

Regards
07-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello !

The French term "Casse-croûte" refers to an unsophisticated restaurant serving rapidly prepared meals. "Casser la croûte" (literally "to break the crust") means to eat simply, like a ham sandwich, a hamburgher, soup or fries. The menu will offer a limited array of very common foods and you can be sure you won't enjoy a "gastronomic experience" there. This particular place is also a creamery serving soft ice cream.

Regards
My time in Montreal, two years, and in France a little south of Paris, two and one half years, the word meant a cheap snack like a sandwich, or a ham sandwich, jambon. I must have been in the wrong neighborhoods. Always a distinct possibility. But convince Google as they translate it as "snacks." I am sure they will welcome your input.
07-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@boojum

Le français est ma langue maternelle. J'ai 68 ans et j'ai passé ma vie à écrire toutes sortes de textes en français. On "casse la croûte" dans un "casse-croûte" ici au Québec, le terme "casse-croûte" réfère au lieu où l'on mange. Le terme "croûte" réfère au pain croûté qu'on utilise dans un sandwich, j'en conviens. En anglais, on voit l'équivalent, "snack-bar", surtout dans la région de Montréal. "Google Translate" produit parfois des aberrations ou donne seulement des usages "franco-français" sans tenir compte des usages dans la francophonie hors-France. Demandez à quelques-uns de vos amis qui parlent français ce qu'ils pensent de la situation.

Bien à vous !

P.S. J'ai vérifié plusieurs dictionnaires "Anglais-Français" et c'est vrai que certains dictionnaires européens traduisent "casse-croûte" par "snack" mais l'usage au Québec réfère définitivement au lieu où l'on sert des mets peu recherchés. Si vous tapez "casse-croûte" sur Google, vous verrez qu'au Québec le terme réfère seulement au restaurant et non à un sandwich ou à une collation légère.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-11-2020 at 07:38 PM.
07-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

@boojum

Le français est ma langue maternelle. J'ai 68 ans et j'ai passé ma vie à écrire toutes sortes de textes en français. On "casse la croûte" dans un "casse-croûte" ici au Québec, le terme "casse-croûte" réfère au lieu où l'on mange. Le terme "croûte" réfère au pain croûté qu'on utilise dans un sandwich, j'en conviens. En anglais, on voit l'équivalent, "snack-bar", surtout dans la région de Montréal. "Google Translate" produit parfois des aberrations ou donne seulement des usages "franco-français" sans tenir compte des usages dans la francophonie hors-France. Demandez à quelques-uns de vos amis qui parlent français ce qu'ils pensent de la situation.

Bien à vous !

P.S. J'ai vérifié plusieurs dictionnaires "Anglais-Français" et c'est vrai que certains dictionnaires européens traduisent "casse-croûte" par "snack" mais l'usage au Québec réfère définitivement au lieu où l'on sert des mets peu recherchés. Si vous tapez "casse-croûte" sur Google, vous verrez qu'au Québec le terme réfère seulement au restaurant et non à un sandwich ou à une collation légère.
Ah, the eternal Quebec language wars. Be aware that the provincial Quebec French you so proudly own is not considered much by l'Academie Francaise which thinks it knows just a bit about the language. So France was where I learned my bit of French and regardless of what is happening in the provinces it is a "snack" in the mother country. Joual is neither spoken nor much understood in France. And the French-Canadian habit of questioning with "Quoi" rather than "Comment" has led them to be known in the vernacular as "Canards" because the "Quoi" sounds to the French, who know their language, like ducks quacking.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/casse-cro%C3%BBte

casse-croûte - Wiktionary

casse-croûte translation English | French dictionary | Reverso

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/french-english/casse-cro%C3%BBte

Bienvenue sur le Casse-Croute

You have unfortunately crossed swords with someone educated in Montreal. Tant pis. Just another maudit bloke. Cheers, eh.
07-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very interesting image. Never ceases to amaze me that whenever a foreign language is indulged in, some sort of flare ups are inevitable. Languages are a lot of fun. I studied French for many years and discovered that the best way to learn a foreign language is to live in the country for about three years, speaking nothing but the new language.

Thanks very much for a very pretty photograph of what appears to be a fine eatery. "
Magnifique, et merci beaucoup pour la lecture. Meilleurs vœux." Tonytee. )
07-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Casse-croûte"
Sounds so much nicer in French... rather than just "Snack" in English.
07-12-2020, 03:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha ha ! It's true we still speak 17th century "old French" and each time we go to France, we must watch our choice of words as they don't always mean the same thing over there. Frenchmen usually refer to us as "les cousins du Canada", they find us "exotic".

During one group visit to Paris in the 1980s, a woman from Montreal went into a "thread and fabric" store and wanted to buy ribbon to sew something. She asked the man at the counter "Avez-vous du ruban à la verge?". Here in Canada we still used British units at that time and tape was sold "by the yard" (à la verge). We translated the English unit "yard" by "verge", instead of using metric measurements. But in France, "verge" means the male attribute (p-n-s), so the Frenchman understood "Do you have ribbon around your male attribute?". He answered the woman : "Madame, je n'ai pas cette coquetterie.", which left her all perplexed ... lol! Understanding each other is sometimes difficult as France abandoned our Ancestors in 1760 and we don't have the same references anymore.

Cheers my friend !

P.S. In the "Reverso" dictionary, you will notice example 2228 "Casse-croûte à vendre, devenez votre propre patron, excellents revenus", referring to the restaurant itself and not only to a snack. So in France it can mean the same thing as here depending on the context of the conversation.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-16-2020 at 03:32 AM.
07-12-2020, 03:37 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Ha ha ! It's true we still speak 17th century "old French"
Ah ken that feeling tis alleged that we speak sassenach... Bit th' vast maist folk o' uk cannae ken us.

Forum required translation ... I know that feeling it's alleged that we speak English... but the vast majority of UK cannot understand us.

07-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ah ken that feeling tis alleged that we speak sassenach... Bit th' vast maist folk o' uk cannae ken us.

Forum required translation ... I know that feeling it's alleged that we speak English... but the vast majority of UK cannot understand us.

This Sassenach kens a wee bit o' the tongue o' the Bard of Ayrshire. And has been to his home, and is familiar with mince with chappit tatties and bashed neeps.

As for French-Canadian French it became a problem for me, too, after two years in Montreal. I would be asked in France if I were from Canadian because some of the accent had crept into my poor French. That and the use of the French-Canadian "eh" which sounds not much like it looks. And no matter how hard I looked I could find no poutine at all. Tabernacle!
07-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I totally agree. Traveling in France was more of a cultural challenge than visiting the American Southwest.

Regards !

BTW, I presume you came to Quebec and went to France to become a Chef, am I right ? Great ! And we pronounce "Tabernacle" like "TABARNAK!" ... lol !

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 07-13-2020 at 08:21 AM.
07-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will go back to take pictures of this restautant with my FA 200 mm f/4 and FA 80-160 mm f/4.5 to test them. I will also bring my 645 1.4X converter and I will mount it on the FA 200 mm to check this combo as well. Nice spot to test lenses, I can't wait to do it ...