Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Hawk
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM + 1.4x converter Camera: PENTAX KP Photo Location: Tree ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: foxandcrow, 07-10-2020, 06:15 AM

Now I know why the little song birds were vacant for the last couple of days. Plus that explains the pile of bird feathers on the ground.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 845
07-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice job!

Jer
07-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice job!

Jer
Thanks Jer for the comment.
07-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Red Shouldered ? Nice shot!

07-10-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice capture, this looks more like a Cooper's Hawk than a Red Shouldered Hawk.
07-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same issue in my yard, and these birds actually are quite spectacular, because they take birds in flight. I have only actually witnessed that once, but I have gone into my yard and thought why is it snowing, only to realize it was down feathers.

So, Larry now for my next question, when do we see this guy as a subject of your BIF technique
07-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Such a presence rightfully captured .TFS

07-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the same issue in my yard, and these birds actually are quite spectacular, because they take birds in flight. I have only actually witnessed that once, but I have gone into my yard and thought why is it snowing, only to realize it was down feathers.

So, Larry now for my next question, when do we see this guy as a subject of your BIF technique
Lowell, I'm like you and I only find the aftermath of a kill with feathers scattered in a small area. Before we moved to where where we live now I did witness and photograph a Cooper's hunting on the ground in our back yard. Where we live now I've only gotten shots of them perched, they attack so swiftly that I've only seen them just prior to a kill when looking out our patio doors. We have multiple feeders in our back yard but I haven't seen any feathers on the ground this year. I'm still hoping to catch one on the wing and attacking.
07-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Lowell, I'm like you and I only find the aftermath of a kill with feathers scattered in a small area. Before we moved to where where we live now I did witness and photograph a Cooper's hunting on the ground in our back yard. Where we live now I've only gotten shots of them perched, they attack so swiftly that I've only seen them just prior to a kill when looking out our patio doors. We have multiple feeders in our back yard but I haven't seen any feathers on the ground this year. I'm still hoping to catch one on the wing and attacking.
you mean like this

i think it was a dove but honestly i don't know

p.s. sorry for posting a photo in your thread, i know there is an issue about this.
07-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you mean like this

p.s. sorry for posting a photo in your thread, i know there is an issue about this.
Bird Kit.
07-10-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Red Shouldered ? Nice shot!
Thanks for the comment MikeMcE.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 12:34 PM ----------

Nice capture, this looks more like a Cooper's Hawk than a Red Shouldered Hawk.
Thanks Larrymc, looking at my bird book I'd say a Cooper's Hawk too.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 12:36 PM ----------

Thanks Lowell Goudge for the comment. I have yet to see on taken just the aftermath.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 12:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Such a presence rightfully captured .TFS

Thanks pichaser for the comment.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 12:39 PM ----------

Thanks again.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 12:41 PM ----------

you mean like this

No problem. A good example.
07-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An excellent capture of a master predator. I have at least one or two Cooper's Hawks jet through my backyard oaks every day. One day, for some reason,one of them flew through and made a U-turn while I was standing near my Hummingbird feeder and he almost took my head off. I don't think he had a clue that I was there until the last split-second. Luckily for both of us he dodged around me.
07-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bird Kit.
I’m not sure kit is correct, while a kit implies some assembly required I fear there are parts missing

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
An excellent capture of a master predator. I have at least one or two Cooper's Hawks jet through my backyard oaks every day. One day, for some reason,one of them flew through and made a U-turn while I was standing near my Hummingbird feeder and he almost took my head off. I don't think he had a clue that I was there until the last split-second. Luckily for both of us he dodged around me.
I read somewhere a very hig percentage of mature birds hav broken bones in their wings due to the nature and speed they fly through the trees,

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 03:54 PM ----------

In the past I posted my own shot of a pigeon proof Bird feeder, it is a shot of my back yard feeder with an immature Cooper’s hawk sitting on top of it. To some extent, our feeding of song birds has created a natural if somewhat larger unintended feeder.

If only I could somehow attract the red tailed hawks to manage the procession of squirrels That visit my feeders these days. But don’t broadcast that thought too far, or we will see rupert’s army of Otis
07-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment ToddK. Your right on the "jet through the back yard" they really haul a__.
07-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful bird portrait!!

And a very stern-looking fellow he is.