Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  
St. Michael's Mount at sunrise
Posted By: The Madshutter, 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Saint Michael's Mount, in Cornwall (UK), is a beautiful and extremely photogenic island, and one that contrarily to its more famous French homonym gets completely isolated at high tide. While normally photographed with its iconic causeway from close, I also love to portray it from the distance, like here. 91 seconds of exposure at sunrise with my Hasselblad X1D, Hasselblad XCD 45mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Views: 597
07-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Indeed...

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I visited Mont Saint-Michel in France but I didn't know Britain had its own Mount St Michael's. Mont Saint-Michel gets isolated at high tide, if I'm right. The situation changed over the years and the tides are higher now. When I visited, the buses had acces during a limited time frame due to the tide. Nice image BTW.

Regards
Hello Richard,

yes, there is a St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall as well. As far as Le Mont Saint Michel in France, it definitely does not get isolated at high tide anymore, it's connected with a high road allowing you to always be able to go to the island and back.

In recent years, sediments left by the river & sea were preventing water to reach and go around the island at high tide, so they dragged the area and created a ingenious dam system on the river to prevent sediments to accumulate that apparently fixed that; plus, they redid the whole area around the island as well, moving the car parks away from the island and creating a bus system that carries visitors from the car parks to the island and back. I have been there in 2013 and you could drive your car to the island and park there, whereas when I went again last year the new system was in place, which makes the whole experience much, much better IMHO.

Best regards,

Vieri