Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Bubblegum Bee
Lens: Tamron 90mm Macro Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Mountains of Idaho ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F20 
Posted By: Bob 256, 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM

I'm posting these shots because I'm curious about what kind of fly or bee this critter is? I saw a wild thistle which looked like it might make a good close-up, but in composing, I discovered this what I call a bubblegum bee (about half an inch in length) on the thistle bloom. It was wandering around and getting nectar but then started this strange behavior of blowing a small bubble of nectar and then sucking it back in. He was doing this over and over which might be a way to reduce the amount of moisture in it (my presumption). The small "bubble" actually lenses the background and makes it appear as a small image in the bubble. If anyone out there is an entomologist and knows what this insect is, please drop a line.

Attached Images

Views: 564
07-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea what it is, but it is a very interesting looking insect. Nicely done.
07-11-2020, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bug is a fly not a bee. All bees have longer antennae, not the stubs of flies. This one is a female due to the long ovipositor extending from her abdomen. Many flies blow bubbles as a way to cool themselves off. More info by googling "flies blowing bubbles"/
07-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great Macros, Bob, especially the first one. Stopping down to F20 certainly got you lots of clarity and depth of field.

The variety of insect sizes, shapes and colours never ceases to amaze, and shots like these help to drive that realisation home.

07-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very detailed, colorful and interesting capture. Nice work and many thnx for sharing.

tt
07-12-2020, 02:14 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
started this strange behaviour of blowing a small bubble of nectar and then sucking it back in
Like sampling a fine wine... just a little extra aeration to enhance the flavour perhaps.
07-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Like sampling a fine wine... just a little extra aeration to enhance the flavour perhaps.
And it looks like a fine pink blush wine!

---------- Post added 07-12-2020 at 08:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The bug is a fly not a bee. All bees have longer antennae, not the stubs of flies. This one is a female due to the long ovipositor extending from her abdomen. Many flies blow bubbles as a way to cool themselves off. More info by googling "flies blowing bubbles"/
Thanks for that jbinpg. "Bubblegum fly" it is.

---------- Post added 07-12-2020 at 08:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Great Macros, Bob, especially the first one. Stopping down to F20 certainly got you lots of clarity and depth of field.

The variety of insect sizes, shapes and colours never ceases to amaze, and shots like these help to drive that realisation home.
Thanks K1 to K50. I was trying for good DOF and f20 was a compromise since the image quality got substantially worse beyond that (even f20 sacrificed some IQ). I tried f32 but it wasn't worth it in terms of IQ. The Tamron 90mm macro is a winner lens, even for regular photography. I threw the second shot in to help identify the critter. It raised its wings and showed its back a bit more, but my favorite is the first one also. In the original, you can see the microlensing in its eye.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-14-2020 at 02:14 PM.