Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Swampy Egret
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR @300mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Barnett Reservoir, MS ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Larrymc, 07-12-2020, 12:57 PM

Pelahatchie Landing Area

Swampy Egret!
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Views: 440
07-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice backdrop

07-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Nice backdrop
Thanks, I had to order up a nice supply of fish and crawdads to coax the Ol Egret to fly down there and pose for a few shots! Thanks for the visit!!
07-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice composition. I like the shot.

07-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice composition. I like the shot.
Thanks, Pete, I really appreciate your comment and thanks for the visit!!
07-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice image all round - very primeval. Great composition with many elements all working together to produce a beautiful scene - the dark green impenetrable backdrop, the two bare trunks, the lone pieces of very tall grass, the short large-leafed plants on the left, the huge spider-web in the middle, all providing the perfect context to allow the white egret and its reflection to complete the picture.
07-14-2020, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Very nice image all round - very primeval. Great composition with many elements all working together to produce a beautiful scene - the dark green impenetrable backdrop, the two bare trunks, the lone pieces of very tall grass, the short large-leafed plants on the left, the huge spider-web in the middle, all providing the perfect context to allow the white egret and its reflection to complete the picture.
Many thanks, Peter, I really appreciate your comment and analysis!! I had been trying to get a good shot of a huge alligator that was leisurely floating along the inlet in the opposite direction from this shot but I was shooting into the sun, after several shots I turned and saw the Egret about 75 yards away so I grabbed 4 or five shots of the egret then packed up and headed home. After downloading the SD card and getting a look at all the images this one popped out at me and with a bit of cropping to eliminate parts of the roadway bridge I think it turned out pretty well. So being lucky sometimes pays off!

BTW, despite what the lens data shows this was shot with a 55-300 PLM, I change the Maker Note lens data to coax DXO into providing a lens profile so i won't have to diddle with making my own.

07-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific photo of an egret in context, Larry. These guys can be hard to photograph - they don't stand around and sort of ignore you like herons and ibises. Rather they flitter away faster than you can aim your camera. For some reason, we've got 'em all over town - we've seen several in our backyard over the last few days. I've been too slow on the draw to catch 'em in my viewfinder.

Jer