Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
C'mon, put the phone down and play
Lens: HD DA 55-300 ED WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Lakeview Park ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RGlasel, 07-18-2020, 08:46 PM

Sometimes the phone is smarter than the user.

Views: 550
07-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tennis lessons via smart phone???
07-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't even get into what would have been said where I played. $12 and hour for court time and some guy pulls out his phone? There's a dude who would never play with me again.

I'm ready to walk out and give the guy an earful.

Thanks for posting memories of the good old days.
07-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
$12 and hour for court time and some guy pulls out his phone?
These are community courts, so other than getting the evil eye from players waiting their turn, wasting time doesn't cost anything. Two of the three courts were idling along while young men did their best to not break out in a sweat. You can see more action watching the old fogeys play pickleball.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Tennis lessons via smart phone???
Maybe, which would explain the lengthy lag between serves, but there was another player on the same court, with the same aversion to exertion .

07-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
These are community courts, so other than getting the evil eye from players waiting their turn, wasting time doesn't cost anything. Two of the three courts were idling along while young men did their best to not break out in a sweat. You can see more action watching the old fogeys play pickleball.
It will cost you a game next time you phone me and ask for it. Interesting though. MY community courts I used to play on in Toronto were booked solid on the sign up board every day from 8 to 8. Is empty tennis courts a thing in Saskatoon?
07-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is empty tennis courts a thing in Saskatoon?
My impression is that empty tennis courts are more a thing of the past, the City of Saskatoon operates 38 outdoor courts in 12 locations to serve a population of 250,000 and until a few years ago, the 3 courts near my place seemed to be very underutilized. Renewing the asphalt surfaces (and making them level) seemed to help and while there isn't a great clamour to open up new facilities, at least they now get enough use to justify their upkeep. There is also the Riversdale Badminton and Tennis Club with indoor and outdoor courts and another private indoor facility that operates year round.
07-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
My impression is that empty tennis courts are more a thing of the past, the City of Saskatoon operates 38 outdoor courts in 12 locations to serve a population of 250,000 and until a few years ago, the 3 courts near my place seemed to be very underutilized. Renewing the asphalt surfaces (and making them level) seemed to help and while there isn't a great clamour to open up new facilities, at least they now get enough use to justify their upkeep. There is also the Riversdale Badminton and Tennis Club with indoor and outdoor courts and another private indoor facility that operates year round.
There are so few good outdoor courts in Toronto, it's impossible to get easy court time. There's even one outdoor court where you have to bring your own net, and you still can't get onto it. Those courts paved and surfaced for tennis are over $25k a court.