Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Hot Bulbs
Posted By: Smoke665, 07-19-2020, 01:56 PM

This is a proof of concept based on a video I saw recently. The shot was setup using a 200 watt incandescent bulb, a mirror, and a sparkler. The mirror was laid flat, a blob of granddaughters play dough was used to set the bulb upright in and a blob of the same stuff used to mount the sparkler directly behind. You want the sparkler fairly close for this, but not touching. For anyone who might try this, I have a couple of suggestions. First the sparkler I used was one of the large multi-color ones (only thing we still had left), the powder was inside a tube taped to a stick. The problem with it was it changed to much during the burn both in color and intensity, second the sparks it kicked out always went to one side. If I were to do it again, I'd use the plain wire sparklers as they throw out a more uniform cone of sparks. Second, don't use a cheap mirror from Walmart. Apparently they're not glass, so I now have divots in the mirror from the sparks.

Other then that it was pretty straight forward. I used manual focus to set the focal point on the bulb element. I had to play around a little to get the exposure. I basically started off with the aperture at f/11, then played with the shutter till I got an almost black image, with just some hints of the bulb. Once I started I opted to change the aperture to f/13, for a little deeper DOF. Final was shot at f/13, ISO 100, 1.6. All in all it was quick, fun little project.

[/url]Hot Bulb.jpg[/IMG]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jnwnnC]hot bulb 2.jpg[/IMG]
Views: 510
07-20-2020, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a spectacular photo that required a small investment in materials and some time to get results . TFS
07-21-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Pretty Cool!!
07-21-2020, 05:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
This is a spectacular photo that required a small investment in materials and some time to get results . TFS
Thank you. Actually, not counting the time it took to pickup the bulb during a grocery run, the whole thing from setup, to putting everything back up, was less then an hour. There were two setups with clean up in between/after. During each sparkler burn I took multiple shots. Processing was pretty straight forward as well.

07-21-2020, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Congratulations on a different photograph!

Regards,
Gordon.