Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
My first shot at the Milky Way almost by accident
Lens: DA 35 f2.4 Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Maunabo, Puerto Rico ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: ismaelg, 07-26-2020, 04:43 PM

Hello,

A happy accident indeed! Light pollution is a problem everywhere around here. With the current curfew you just can't go anywhere, especially at night. Last week I was out of town in a local small hotel in the south east coast of Puerto Rico. I only took my K-01 with the DA 35 f2.4 and a wimpy $15 tripod just in case. Nothing else. My room was literally less than 100 feet from the sea. When I looked up at night, WOW! What a beautiful night sky! So I took a few long exposures. Nothing spectacular by this forum's standards, but I'm really happy. Wish I had a wider lens. Found 15s to be a sweet spot before star trails became an issue.
This is pretty much out of camera. I don't even know how to process it. Tried a few things but all went the wrong way. Gotta read more about this topic.
The bright star is Jupiter.

Thanks,
Views: 542
07-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

nice! take a bunch and make a pano!
07-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, 15 seconds is a bit too quick to get what you want. What I have found is that you can take a much longer exposure, put the image into a program like Paint and then compress it along the axis of the star trails. It is a crude way of getting the image but it is kind of fun seeing it take shape.
07-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A good first try. There are a number of videos on Youtube just search for keywords post processing Milky Way that will help.