Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Palm Trees
Lens: hd pentax-da 1:4.5-6.3 55-300mm Camera: k-50 Photo Location: Tampa Fl ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: TMcDaniel, 07-28-2020, 05:37 PM

New settings for me, testing the waters of not being on AF my first photo in semi auto , yiks hope it looks ok

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 594
08-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job. I like the fact that you captured those two Palm Trees with tremendous sharpness. Nice landscape offering and thanks for posting. ) Also, there are

a few dust spots in the background sky. Blowing out your sensor should take care of those. In addition, are you open to suggestions?

TT
08-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Great job. I like the fact that you captured those two Palm Trees with tremendous sharpness. Nice landscape offering and thanks for posting. ) Also, there are

a few dust spots in the background sky. Blowing out your sensor should take care of those. In addition, are you open to suggestions?

TT
Thank you and yes I’m very open as I’m still il learning
08-06-2020, 12:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TMcDaniel Quote
Thank you and yes I’m very open as I’m still il learning

On a wide shot like this, I would not use CWA (Center Weighted Metering) as there is just too much area at hand in order to get proper exposure. CWA is great for a subject

that is let's say 10 to 12 feet in front of you and not moving. For this shot, I would use Matrix or Pattern metering which will provide you with a broader coverage for optimum

exposure. Do not feel apprehensive or fearful of experimenting with various Shutter Speeds and ISOs and Lens F/stop settings. That really is the best way to work yourself

into becoming more proficient. Well, I would say that you are off to a very good start and please do not get discouraged as we have all learned from our mistakes also.

All the best,

Tony )

08-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
On a wide shot like this, I would not use CWA (Center Weighted Metering) as there is just too much area at hand in order to get proper exposure. CWA is great for a subject

that is let's say 10 to 12 feet in front of you and not moving. For this shot, I would use Matrix or Pattern metering which will provide you with a broader coverage for optimum

exposure. Do not feel apprehensive or fearful of experimenting with various Shutter Speeds and ISOs and Lens F/stop settings. That really is the best way to work yourself

into becoming more proficient. Well, I would say that you are off to a very good start and please do not get discouraged as we have all learned from our mistakes also.

All the best,

Tony )
use Matrix or Pattern metering
sorry i may sound dumb here, but what does this mean? and thanks Tony for the input
08-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TMcDaniel Quote
sorry i may sound dumb here, but what does this mean? and thanks Tony for the input

No, you are not dumb, not at all. On the K-50 you have three metering modes. First: Spot Metering which is used to calculate exposure for close up or even Macro images.

I use it a lot for floral photographs. Second, as mentioned earlier is CWA=Center Weighted Average and then last: There are many different names for this one such as:

Matrix, Pattern and Evaluative which again will provide you with a broader coverage of exposure needs. If you have the owner's manual, it should tell you where the settings

are and how to use them. If not, try Youtube as there is an endless supply of helpful videos and tutorials there. Good luck and hope this helps.

Tony