Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A raptor and it's odd nest
Posted By: bobbotron, 07-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Not getting the best IQ out of the 55-300 HD, even on a tripod and stopped down a bit, but still happy for the reach it gave me to get a photo of this odd sight. This is so far up!

Views: 582
07-29-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its an osprey, and their normal habitat is to build platforms high up in broken trees. many utility companies have taken to put platforms on posts in otherwise suitable environments where the trees have been cleared.

at least he will never be on a commercial for a cell company saying "Can you hear me now"

edit note, assuming crop sensor, my guess is about 60 meters away, or the better part of 200 feet. Many times i say you can avoid a big expensive lens, if only you have patience to move closer (zoom with your feet) Here, even if you were to spent &10K on a lens, or cut the distance down the equivelent of 10K of glass it wouldn't help at all. What you have is a "record shot" you can prove you saw an osprey, and not much more.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 07-29-2020 at 10:34 AM.
07-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well spotted, looks like that Osprey has its eyes on you!!
07-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
its an osprey, and their normal habitat is to build platforms high up in broken trees. many utility companies have taken to put platforms on posts in otherwise suitable environments where the trees have been cleared.

at least he will never be on a commercial for a cell company saying "Can you hear me now"

edit note, assuming crop sensor, my guess is about 60 meters away, or the better part of 200 feet. Many times i say you can avoid a big expensive lens, if only you have patience to move closer (zoom with your feet) Here, even if you were to spent &10K on a lens, or cut the distance down the equivelent of 10K of glass it wouldn't help at all. What you have is a "record shot" you can prove you saw an osprey, and not much more.
Indeed, although if I "zoomed with my feet" here, I'd quickly lose sight of the osprey head.

I like the shot for my own interest, I was curious what was going on up there.

Ha, indeed I could probably eek out a bit better resolution with some patience. This is enough for me. I'm a little surprised to see the artifacts I do at full magnification, but it is what it is.

I briefly owned a terrible 500mm lens that probably would have performed less well here.

07-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Very interesting information. I did not know that. Great idea.
07-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say "Well spotted" because it is a bit had to miss. But it is a good shot to record the nest and how the modern world can hope these birds to cope with changes to their environment. If they are like our eagles, they will add a new layer to the nest each year so they go on getting bigger and bigger. This nest looks like it is very big.