Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Punaise américaine de la Floride / Leaf Footed Bug [Acanthocephala terminalis]
Lens: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu Québec, CANADA, ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: Weevil, 07-30-2020, 11:28 PM

A very large bug, more than 1 inch!

also used the PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash

Views: 746
07-31-2020, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Nice (and big) bedbug!

I like the lighting you have achieved with the ring flash, but in this model you can not graduate the power, right?

Well done!
07-31-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an excellent macro. The pose of the bug is perfect, and I like the results of your flash. I sure would like to find one.
08-01-2020, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely capture of this (ugly) bug............. what is the PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash and can I use it on my oldie the K100D?

08-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ginos Quote
Nice (and big) bedbug!
I like the lighting you have achieved with the ring flash, but in this model you can not graduate the power, right?
Well done!
Yes you can, there many custom manual levels, not as much as for the AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ series, but just enough...

one thing is missing though is the HSS ... like the other series above have... I would love to have this feature bundled on that Ring Flash!

In P-TTL mode, not including the P-TTL Auto setting, there are 2 lower and 1 higher setting: +0.5, -0.5 and -1.0
in Manual mode, you have 3 choices of settings on the rear dial: FULL, 1/4, 1/16

please have a look at the AF 160FG review page on PF for more info, you have an image of the back panel, on the dial you'll see those settings.

On this image as well:

p.s. btw, this no bedbug (not harmful to humans), but a relative bug in the "wide" Hemiptera Order !

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is an excellent macro. The pose of the bug is perfect, and I like the results of your flash. I sure would like to find one.
Yes, this flash is very handy in the field. I use the AF540FGZ with a Diffuser, but it has to be mounted on a flash bracket (like the "Custom Brackets CB Folding-TA Flash Rotating Bracket"), and if adding the weight of the diffuser, it put a lot of stress on the AF540FGZ plastic foot, which can break easily (I broke 2 of them so far... and cost 50$ USD everytime!), and it's not as easy to setup to get close to the subject, so this ring flash has an advantage over those complicated setups in the field.

However, the AF-160-FG doesn't work well with some pentax or 3rd party manual macro Lenses, such as the Irix 150mm, where it blows the image +5EV

this issue was reported a while back by @WPRESTO in 2014 here.
I understand the issue is not clear, and may depend of the build or camera FW and Ricoh/Pentax doesn't seems to be making any updates on this? Could be fixed eventually by a FW update... or something like that ? I don't know the latest status of that issue.

I am a bit surprised that issue is not reported in the above review though...

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
Lovely capture of this (ugly) bug............. what is the PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash and can I use it on my oldie the K100D?
I don't know.. In the above review, someone says it works perfect with the K10D, so I guess it would.
08-03-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Avery well done macro, thanks for posting it.