Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Look what I’ve got
Posted By: Lowell Goudge, 07-31-2020, 04:23 AM

In the ongoing saga of the Cooper’s hawk family near us.

One of the young ones, taunting its siblings.

Views: 518
07-31-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it a Grackle that it has caught? Cool shot!
07-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Is it a Grackle that it has caught? Cool shot!
i didn't see the catch, i am not sure grackle which it looks like, but through the view finder i thought it could also have been a robin. i thought i saw an orange chest at one point.

note there were other observers who got there before me, who said one of the adults actually dropped the bird off for this one.

the day before i saw two of the "babies" chasing squirrels . the 3 other babies were all present in a few trees around squawking and occasionally challenging this one for possession.
07-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great catch...both you and hawk.

Looks like a younger crow to me. I've seen grackles and robins and I would say this is a crow.

A few years ago I was in a riverine forest area near my house and there was a family of Great Horned Owls. A parent was hunting, probably for rabbits or squirrels and the two young owls were watching the parent with great interest,bobbing their heads up and down, staring intently, no doubt picking up hunting tips.

I looked up the diet of the Great Horned Owl and it reminded me of the list of prey for the Tasmanian Devil in the old Loony Tune cartoon...which was a list of about everything you could think of.

07-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great catch...both you and hawk.

Looks like a younger crow to me. I've seen grackles and robins and I would say this is a crow.

A few years ago I was in a riverine forest area near my house and there was a family of Great Horned Owls. A parent was hunting, probably for rabbits or squirrels and the two young owls were watching the parent with great interest,bobbing their heads up and down, staring intently, no doubt picking up hunting tips.

I looked up the diet of the Great Horned Owl and it reminded me of the list of prey for the Tasmanian Devil in the old Loony Tune cartoon...which was a list of about everything you could think of.
Too small for a crow. Consider Cooper’s hawk is only 16-20 inches, the bird in the talon is mush less than10
07-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely a Bronze Grackle, not a crow.
07-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Some how I don’t think it counts as a sighting. Too bad, I don’t have one this year

07-31-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks! I saw Grackles in the USA in 2002 and it looked right.