Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vultures...
Posted By: heliphoto, 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Went looking for birds today (inspired by Marc's photos), and found some... turkey vultures.

All manually focused with the BIGMA at 500mm f/8. Bigma was on a tripod with loose tension for easy tracking (and my 9 mo. old was on my back in a pack). All are cropped, none less than 1800px. wide.

I see you...

exif

Short final...

exif

exif

Views: 2,384
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Igilligan

That first one is great...

He has his eye on your son!

Actually your son as counter balance really seems to have helped stablize the bigma weight

The first is spot on...
11-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Gus. I did a bit of touch up on the first in PS (clone work on the eye - it showed a bit of motion blur), and USM, but I did get lucky with that shot. Looking at it now, I'd say the "clarity" slider in lightroom (local contrast enhancement) was turned up too high, as I can see a light sky halo around the bird.
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots of a bird many don't bother take pictures of.

11-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I too like the first one. Great shots of the garbageman of the bird world.
11-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Slow Pez... The Vulture is the King of the recyclers... It is those darn pigeons and seagulls that are the Garbage Collectors. Or 'winged sanitation engineers' as they liked to be called
11-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, spot on. Great shots. Just a little whie halo from curve in the first shot. You might want to try highlight/shadow adjustment instead.

11-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Went looking for birds today (inspired by Marc's photos), and found some... turkey vultures.
I am inspiring Josh to photograph members of the "ugly club"... I dunno if that's a good thing or not...

Seriously, they are nice shots Josh - #1 and #3 are especially good BIF shots! More than a couple of times I've gotten sharp images, but a wingtip is missing...

What amazes me most about this species is their stunning plumage, and the "not-so-pretty" head - it's all business. Quite the symbiotic setup. Look forward to more posts!

Regards,
Marc
11-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Beautiful shots of a bird many don't bother take pictures of.
Thank you. I'd have preferred a more photogenic subject, but you've got to work with what you're given.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, spot on. Great shots. Just a little whie halo from curve in the first shot. You might want to try highlight/shadow adjustment instead.
Thank you. I'm seeing that halo, and I'm in the middle of re-processing that shot to eliminate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I am inspiring Josh to photograph members of the "ugly club"... I dunno if that's a good thing or not...

Seriously, they are nice shots Josh - #1 and #3 are especially good BIF shots! More than a couple of times I've gotten sharp images, but a wingtip is missing...

What amazes me most about this species is their stunning plumage, and the "not-so-pretty" head - it's all business. Quite the symbiotic setup. Look forward to more posts!

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc. You inspired me to go walk by a river / wetland area, but the wetlands weren't wet, and these guys were the only subjects around. I got a few of those wing missing shots...

These guys were moving pretty fast on the low passes they made.

Last edited by heliphoto; 11-06-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: grammer <--and now spelling!
11-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great images! I really like the series, where the last one in my favourite!
11-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

I think they are fairly good. Don't what it is about birds and planes against a blue sky, they sometimes look like they are pasted on to the sky.

JMR
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Georg.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I think they are fairly good. Don't what it is about birds and planes against a blue sky, they sometimes look like they are pasted on to the sky.

JMR
It could be my processing (I still haven't fixed #1 BTW). Thanks for commenting. Blue sky is just so boring too.

There were clouds around to break up the blue sky, but I didn't get any very detailed bird shots against the more interesting sky... here's a couple silhouettes...

11-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

heliphoto,
I love the bird against the blue sky - simply awesome to me.

Peter