Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait or something like that
Posted By: ga-hing, 11-05-2008, 12:05 AM

Hello...I'm just curious to see if any of you would like to share some opinions of these pictures i took (of my girlfriend )
i was using some cheap 50mm lens.

The night picture, I used a flash bounced off a ceiling

the outdoor one...nothing special. thanks

Attached Images

Views: 1,818
11-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Quite nice portraits. #1 is a bit soft though. #2, I love the movement in the hair and slight softness works for this one, slightly overexposed though. The OOF background is good, nice separation but it is spoilt by the sky above her head. If you can redo it without that sky and correcting the exposure it would make a great portrait IMO.
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Love that second shot! Has a classic film feel to it.
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots! Like #2 the most, with the hair in the wind. I don't really find the sky to be distracting.

11-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I prefer the backdrop of 2nd shot placed in the first shot. That would be a very good image.
11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

#2 is softer but I love it for the mood. It looks as if it was made on film (someone said that already, but it's simply too true to deny).
No need to redo the shot and lose the sky. It's a symbol of Heaven, and depending on how you feel, she may very well be from up there. It fits perfectly with the subject.

Tell your girlfriend that she is very good looking, and hold on to her.
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love the light and the hair in the second picture - and again, it really does look like it was shot on film - very nice!

-Dan

11-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Quite nice portraits. #1 is a bit soft though. #2, I love the movement in the hair and slight softness works for this one, slightly overexposed though. The OOF background is good, nice separation but it is spoilt by the sky above her head. If you can redo it without that sky and correcting the exposure it would make a great portrait IMO.
So if for example I wanted to do this again without the light on top of her head, I need something to block the sun? Thanks for your input by the way.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
#
No need to redo the shot and lose the sky. It's a symbol of Heaven, and depending on how you feel, she may very well be from up there. It fits perfectly with the subject.

Tell your girlfriend that she is very good looking, and hold on to her.

Haha I feel blessed to have her as a girlfriend :P
11-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ga-hing Quote

So if for example I wanted to do this again without the light on top of her head, I need something to block the sun? Thanks for your input by the way.
You could change the angle and shoot slightly more down.

It seems like I was the only one bothered by it, but that's the beauty of photography, we all have our own vision.

The important thing (for your sake) is to make your girlfriend look good and you definitely achieved that.
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The first shot by itself isn't a bad photo, but the second one is just so much better. I like the feel of the shot, and as someone above said, it kind of does have that film look to it.

my 2c
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one could use a bit of back lighting. I also prefer the second one with her hair movement and a bit of light over her head. I agree with Gary initially on the second one as the sky seems to be a bit distracting and especially when her head is lined up evenly with the sky. However, on closer look it does not seem too bad. Both images look a little soft which may not necessary be bad - but then I think it is because you have to resize the original images before posting them here (I know mine seem always came out soft when I post them here).

Cheers,
Alfred
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The important thing (for your sake) is to make your girlfriend look good and you definitely achieved that.
It's easy when she's pretty haha

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The first one could use a bit of back lighting. I also prefer the second one with her hair movement and a bit of light over her head. I agree with Gary initially on the second one as the sky seems to be a bit distracting and especially when her head is lined up evenly with the sky. However, on closer look it does not seem too bad. Both images look a little soft which may not necessary be bad - but then I think it is because you have to resize the original images before posting them here (I know mine seem always came out soft when I post them here).

Cheers,
Alfred
What is back lighting? haha should i stick a flash behind her or something?
thanks
11-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are a lucky man to have a girlfriend that beautiful, that also lets you photograph her !! Great shots by the way, do post LOTS more
11-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are very nice images but IMHO need a little tweaking, this is what I would do.

These file sizes are way to small to work with but this should give you an idea of what I mean.

Hope that you don't mind, take care.