Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
My personal take on Neowise (including the second tail)
Lens: Fa 43mm Limited Camera: K-1 II Photo Location: Rimouski, Quebec 
Posted By: bdery, 08-03-2020, 12:31 PM

Here is my personal take on the Neowise comet. even though I was in a remote location, it was not easy to see with the naked eye, and almost impossible to see in the viewfinder or LCD screen of the K-1 II. So I used the 28-105, framed wide, then replaced it with the 43 when I had located the comet properly.

Some editing of the RAW files let me bring out the two tails, the debris and the ions.

One of the images also gifted me with a shooting star, a nice bonus. I kinda like the trees in the foreground, it brings context.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results.

The vertical crop is also nice, as it brings more focus to the comet.

Last, a closer framing.

Views: 643
08-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are nice captures with a decent amount of stars too. It must be a fairly dark location. I'm curious about the 43, did it have coma, and fringing?
My FA 35 suffers both and I'm not happy with it until f3.2, a bit pointless at that aperture.
08-03-2020, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Those are nice captures with a decent amount of stars too.
Indeed, the amount of stars did surprise me.

It must be a fairly dark location.
It is, but according DarkSkyFinder it's only an average of darkness.

I'm curious about the 43, did it have coma, and fringing?
My FA 35 suffers both and I'm not happy with it until f3.2, a bit pointless at that aperture
Some coma and a mild amount of fringing, easily handled by the auto profile in lightroom. I had no action to take except activating the profile. The 43 is one of my most reliable lenses.
08-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well done! The line in the first shot looks like the ISS, or at least a satellite, but it's so bright I'd say the ISS.

08-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Well done! The line in the first shot looks like the ISS, or at least a satellite, but it's so bright I'd say the ISS.
I believe it's a shooting star, especially considering that it was a 8 seconds exposure.
08-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I believe it's a shooting star, especially considering that it was a 8 seconds exposure.
I've got a photo showing a small meteor here:
Our Galaxy | And a brief visitor to our atmosphere. | RobGeraghty | Flickr

It starts dim, gets bright then fades out as it burns up. The object in your photo has pretty even brightness and starts and stops abruptly due to the exposure, so it looks more like a low earth satellite to me, but I could be wrong. The ISS does get brighter and dimmer, but slowly and is usually visible for a long time.
08-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I've got a photo showing a small meteor here:
Our Galaxy | And a brief visitor to our atmosphere. | RobGeraghty | Flickr

It starts dim, gets bright then fades out as it burns up. The object in your photo has pretty even brightness and starts and stops abruptly due to the exposure, so it looks more like a low earth satellite to me, but I could be wrong. The ISS does get brighter and dimmer, but slowly and is usually visible for a long time.
Cool picture!

It might have been the ISS in that case, except if maybe the meteor was bright for a long time, but I feel I would have noticed that. And I did expose for 8 seconds, so your hypothesis makes more sense. It's even cooler, maybe, if it was the ISS.

08-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Cool picture!
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
It might have been the ISS in that case, except if maybe the meteor was bright for a long time, but I feel I would have noticed that. And I did expose for 8 seconds, so your hypothesis makes more sense. It's even cooler, maybe, if it was the ISS.
Thanks! I think so too - you've got two interesting sightings in one photo.