Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12 Likes  #1
Small and tiny critters
Lens: 100 2.8 Camera: K-S2 Photo Location: Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Here a few from my wanderings in the "woods":

This tiny critter looked like a speck of dirt on the leaf, but I have learned to look for specks of "dirt". Unfortunately I did not have extension tubes with me so this is as good as it gets.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 1,072
08-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Unbelievably sharp ! I have a 100 DF A F 2.8 Macro and I've never been able to get close up photos of insects as good as these are. You are a master and I don't say this lightly.
08-03-2020, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are some fantastic insect images Heinrich! You are a master of capturing sharp and detailed images. Well done.

---------- Post added 08-03-20 at 09:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Unbelievably sharp ! I have a 100 DF A F 2.8 Macro and I've never been able to get close up photos of insects as good as these are. You are a master and I don't say this lightly.
Lesmore and I had the same thoughts simultaneously
08-04-2020, 01:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your work is a legend in my mind , Thanks so much for sending these beautiful photos .

08-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It just goes to show that you don't have to have the latest camera to get outstanding images! Masterful work Heinrich!
08-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice work as always Heinrich! Were you using your Pringles can light extender?
08-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice set of pics. You are indeed "The Master"!

08-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent work Heinrich! A pleasure to look at each and every one. TWO thumbs up.
08-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the praise but as you know it is the camera and the lens. Seriously, I've had this lens for over 10 years and it has always performed perfectly.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
These are some fantastic insect images Heinrich! You are a master of capturing sharp and detailed images. Well done.

---------- Post added 08-03-20 at 09:38 PM ----------

Lesmore and I had the same thoughts simultaneously
Thank you for the kind words, it is appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Your work is a legend in my mind , Thanks so much for sending these beautiful photos .
Thank you kindly and you are welcome
08-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
It just goes to show that you don't have to have the latest camera to get outstanding images! Masterful work Heinrich!
Thank you for the kind comments

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Very nice work as always Heinrich! Were you using your Pringles can light extender?
Thank you kindly, not the Pringle but this one, the design came a number of years ago from Forum Member "Rense"

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Very nice set of pics. You are indeed "The Master"!
Thank you kindly.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Excellent work Heinrich! A pleasure to look at each and every one. TWO thumbs up.
Thank you so much, I really do have fun doing it.
08-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote

Thank you kindly, not the Pringle but this one, the design came a number of years ago from Forum Member "Rense"

Thank you kindly.

Heinrich, if it wouldn't be prying, does your home made flash extender also have a layer of silver duct tape inside the extender ?

A number of years ago, I modified a Pringles chip can as an extender.....but I left the inside of the can 'stock'.....just as it came from the factory, which if my memory is correct was a light brown cardboard interior.

I'm now wondering if a silver interior colour, courtesy of a layer of duct tape would improve the reflectivity and the macro lighting from my hot shoe, mounted Pentax 360 flash ?

Les
08-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Heinrich, if it wouldn't be prying, does your home made flash extender also have a layer of silver duct tape inside the extender ?

A number of years ago, I modified a Pringles chip can as an extender.....but I left the inside of the can 'stock'.....just as it came from the factory, which if my memory is correct was a light brown cardboard interior.

I'm now wondering if a silver interior colour, courtesy of a layer of duct tape would improve the reflectivity and the macro lighting from my hot shoe, mounted Pentax 360 flash ?

Les
Hi Les

The inside is household aluminum foil, silver duct tape would not be reflective enough. In front I use the plastic wrap that comes wrapped around lenses and other objects.
Depending on the density of it sometimes one layer will do but I have used two as well. Experiment with it. This present setup is good for f:16 at ISO 200. (exposure And flash exposure both set to +1)

Take care and be safe
08-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Les

The inside is household aluminum foil, silver duct tape would not be reflective enough. In front I use the plastic wrap that comes wrapped around lenses and other objects.
Depending on the density of it sometimes one layer will do but I have used two as well. Experiment with it. This present setup is good for f:16 at ISO 200. (exposure And flash exposure both set to +1)

Take care and be safe
Thank you Heinrich for the information and advice. I intend to follow your example.

During this covid 19 pandemic, we have been ordering our groceries online, then picking them up curbside at the store.

I missed this week's order, but to get started on the project I will order a can of Pringles next week, as the first step.

Thank you again and take care,

Les
08-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Heinrich, a wonderful collection of photos - perfectly done as usual!

Jer
08-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Beautiful sharp images Heinrich. Paul