Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Flashback to 1969
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Back Porch 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM

Around 15 years ago - a few years before I retired - I bought a moderately expensive die-cast model of a 1969 Mustang Mach I (in a gas station of all places) that is a near twin of the Mach I my wife and I bought new in 1969. I was a poor grad student, and she worked as an accountant at the university book store so we didn't have a lot of money, but we managed to scrape together the cash (with a bit of help from my parents) to trade my '67 Cougar for the Mach I, which we drove for a couple of years before moving on to a '71 Camaro.

I originally put the model in my office at work, where it stayed until I retired in 2009, after which it inhabited the attic over our garage until I came across it the other day when I was up there looking for something totally unrelated to the Mustang. The model is the same color, has the same wheels, and has the same tires as our car - the big (really big) difference is that the model depicts a 428 Cobra Jet, while our more pedestrian car was equipped with a 351 Windsor. The model car has deteriorated during the decade in the attic, but it still brings back memories of the late '60s.

Jer

Views: 849
08-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The model car has deteriorated during the decade in the attic, but it still brings back memories of the late '60s.
The condition suits a car that would be 51 years old Jer. Magazine ads of the day would have had a bikini clad model draped over the bonnet. ...
Can you lay your hands on a BarbieTM for a re-shoot.................................

Once again, excellent vehicle images buddy.
08-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great memories, I'm sure Jer!
Thanks for sharing the shots and the story!
08-06-2020, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The condition suits a car that would be 51 years old Jer. Magazine ads of the day would have had a bikini clad model draped over the bonnet. ...
Can you lay your hands on a BarbieTM for a re-shoot.................................

That is a damn good idea, love the model

08-07-2020, 01:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great story and a nice collection of photos. I really like the textured glass you used, as it give an interesting reflection.
On the first 2 images the background is a little bit distracting and it makes me feel that there in not enough separation from the subject.
08-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, thanks for sharing the story and the images to go along with it.
08-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice job and a nice memory for you to have, of your old pony car ! I have done the same. I have a 1/18th scale model VW Beetle (my first car) that I prominently display on a shelf. Always nice memories generated whenever I look at it.

I recall reading (Hemmings I think) about a guy who bought a new Mustang similar to yours and ordered the 351 Cleveland V8 with a 4 barrel and a 4 speed and a final drive gear ratio somewhere around a 2.73 . He also put on some powerful driving lights on the bumper....that could be flicked on/off...for when conditions were right...ie; no traffic @ night. I could be wrong and probably am, but if memory serves me, he might have also installed a Volvo driver's seat for long distance travel comfort.

If I recall, he lived in NYC and had a close relative of his, that he liked to visit regularly, somewhere out west....Montana, Wyoming, ? was this was the reason that he had equipped the car with that relatively high speed @ low rpm final drive ratio, Cleveland 351 engine, 4 speed manual, etc. as he liked to make good time, once he got to the less traveled western states.

Believe the story said he put somewhere in the neighbourhood of around 400,000 miles over many years, with little trouble.

08-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Pete, my buddy, I appreciate the nice words, as always! I like the Barbie idea, but after 50+ years of marriage, I lack the courage to try it - I do everything I can to prevent getting another dent in my head!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Great memories, I'm sure Jer!
Thanks for sharing the shots and the story!
Thanks much, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Thanks for looking, my friend. I had a chance to drive a 2019 GT last year, and I can tell you (and you doubtless know this) the 'Stang has come a long, long way since 1969.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GQPhdFBI Quote
Great story and a nice collection of photos. I really like the textured glass you used, as it give an interesting reflection.
On the first 2 images the background is a little bit distracting and it makes me feel that there in not enough separation from the subject.
Thanks for the nice words, and I agree completely about the somewhat intrusive background detail in the first shot. This particular photo was taken at f/8, but I tried others with wider lens openings specifically to knock the "edge" off that brick siding, but I didn't like the way the car was rendered in those pictures. Pulling the glass-topped table away from the house would be one solution, but it was late into the afternoon, still 96F in the shade and approaching the cocktail hour. So . . . . . . . I decided to go with what I had.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Jer, thanks for sharing the story and the images to go along with it.
Thank you, Heinrich!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice job and a nice memory for you to have, of your old pony car ! I have done the same. I have a 1/18th scale model VW Beetle (my first car) that I prominently display on a shelf. Always nice memories generated whenever I look at it.

I recall reading (Hemmings I think) about a guy who bought a new Mustang similar to yours and ordered the 351 Cleveland V8 with a 4 barrel and a 4 speed and a final drive gear ratio somewhere around a 2.73 . He also put on some powerful driving lights on the bumper....that could be flicked on/off...for when conditions were right...ie; no traffic @ night. I could be wrong and probably am, but if memory serves me, he might have also installed a Volvo driver's seat for long distance travel comfort.

If I recall, he lived in NYC and had a close relative of his, that he liked to visit regularly, somewhere out west....Montana, Wyoming, ? was this was the reason that he had equipped the car with that relatively high speed @ low rpm final drive ratio, Cleveland 351 engine, 4 speed manual, etc. as he liked to make good time, once he got to the less traveled western states.

Believe the story said he put somewhere in the neighbourhood of around 400,000 miles over many years, with little trouble.
Hey, Les - thanks much! My car lacked the Cleveland, which I think first appeared in the '70 models. Mine had the base engine - a 2BBL Windsor rated at 250 HP and saddled with an automatic. The Cleveland and a 4-speed would have been wonderful!

Jer
08-07-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

For a moment there I though you spelled 'Fastback' wrong.
08-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
For a moment there I though you spelled 'Fastback' wrong.
You know, I haven't thought of the term, "fastback", in a long time. I wish I had - I would have named this thread: "Flashback to a Fastback". Thanks for looking.

Jer
08-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all Aces in my book, friend. Nice work and thnx a million for posting.

TT
08-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice model and I particularly like the first two shots.
08-08-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
They are all Aces in my book, friend. Nice work and thnx a million for posting.

TT
Thanks, my friend. I appreciate the kind words!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice model and I particularly like the first two shots.
Thank you, Rob!

Jer
08-24-2020, 04:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Would have been a sweet ride Jer
TFS your trip down memory lane

cheers
08-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter