Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Good Morning D FA 15-30
Lens: D FA 15-30/2.8 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Last Christmas, as I discussed with Santa Claus about what I should get for Christmas, I briefly considered buying (I mean getting) a D FA 15-30 zoom. However, I concluded that the lens really doesn't make since for me because it's too big, ridiculously heavy and pretty pricey; also - most importantly - I have a long history of not using wide angle lenses after I buy them. I still believe all of that fervently, but . . . . . . . . . I bought one anyway. Here's one of the very first shots with the brute taken fairly early this morning after Amazon dropped it off.

Jer

Views: 642
08-11-2020, 04:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, and nice shot. I tried one in a shop last year, it is erm... big nicely built and surprisingly I got used to it quickly.

Like you, I'm not really much of a wide angle user but I got a Samyang 14mm for astro and now use it quite often. I'm astonished at how close I can get to big things and get it all in.

You need to visit and aerospace museum now to make best use of it and sell it to yourself.
08-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jer, congratulations on your new acquisition, and a nice image! From all that I have read and seen, that is an excellent lens.
08-11-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Congrats, and nice shot. I tried one in a shop last year, it is erm... big nicely built and surprisingly I got used to it quickly.

Like you, I'm not really much of a wide angle user but I got a Samyang 14mm for astro and now use it quite often. I'm astonished at how close I can get to big things and get it all in.

You need to visit and aerospace museum now to make best use of it and sell it to yourself.
Thanks, Kevin. This would be just the lens for an aerospace museum. I'd love to take it to the massive U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. An amazing place that takes most of day to tour. My only worry would be a development of a fused backbone after lugging this thing around for that long!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Jer, congratulations on your new acquisition, and a nice image! From all that I have read and seen, that is an excellent lens.
Thanks, Todd. I'm looking forward to playing with it!

Jer

08-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'd love to take it to the massive U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. An amazing place that takes most of day to tour. My only worry would be a development of a fused backbone after lugging this thing around for that long!
I've been there a few times - fantastic place! Maybe tie a few helium balloons to your camera strap to offset some weight?
08-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I've been there a few times - fantastic place! Maybe tie a few helium balloons to your camera strap to offset some weight?
It is fantastic - I'm always surprised by how many folks have never heard of the place. People talk about the aerospace exhibit at the Smithsonian, which is wonderful, but can't compare with the Air Force museum.

Jer
08-12-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

National Museum of the USAF