Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Hot Concrete
Lens: D FA 15-30 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Brazosport College 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Three pictures I took yesterday afternoon at the local college. The blazing sunshine is made for the contrasty B&W look that I enjoy, but it's very hard on a photographer standing on heat-soaked concrete.

Jer







Views: 614
08-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 21
The strong shadows on the ground and the shining on the arch from picture 2 best convey the strong heat. I would maybe have included the full shadow of the front sphere to convey that feeling even more blatantly?
08-13-2020, 05:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,698
Very nice B&W images Jer. The good thing about going out in the heat, is that you had the place to yourself.
08-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,439
Nice group Jer. I tend to hibernate in the summer so kudos to you for braving the heat.

08-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chessov Quote
The strong shadows on the ground and the shining on the arch from picture 2 best convey the strong heat. I would maybe have included the full shadow of the front sphere to convey that feeling even more blatantly?
Thanks for looking. The sliced off shadow in #2 is definitely a compositional flaw - one I didn't notice until I was post processing the files. I actually thought of driving back to the campus (about 10 minutes from my house), but I couldn't make myself abandon the blessed coolness of my office nor the very cold beer close at hand.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice B&W images Jer. The good thing about going out in the heat, is that you had the place to yourself.
Thank you very much, Todd. And you're right, everybody else had the sense to stay inside!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice group Jer. I tend to hibernate in the summer so kudos to you for braving the heat.
Hey, Susan - thanks much. The duration of this little expedition was about 15 minutes, after which, it became unbearable, especially since I had a mask around my neck ready to deploy if necessary. Fortunately, no one else was dumb enough to be walking around on acres of concrete during the hottest part of the afternoon in August in SE Texas!

Jer
08-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,439
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Susan - thanks much. The duration of this little expedition was about 15 minutes, after which, it became unbearable, especially since I had a mask around my neck ready to deploy if necessary. Fortunately, no one else was dumb enough to be walking around on acres of concrete during the hottest part of the afternoon in August in SE Texas!
Well Jer, you got the ball rolling (couldn't resist) for the rest of the Texans.
08-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Well Jer, you got the ball rolling (couldn't resist) for the rest of the Texans.
I adore puns - keep 'em coming!

Jer
08-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian
ignath's Avatar

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Riga
Posts: 1,461
very nice tones, well processed!

08-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
very nice tones, well processed!
Thanks for the kind words!!

Jer
08-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,384
Nice series of B&W Jer!
08-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Nice series of B&W Jer!
Thanks, my friend.

Jer
08-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,694
Jer, these are three very images but the second one is an outstanding photograph.
08-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
Thanks for the very kind words, Heinrich.

Jer
08-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,603
I cannot disagree. Nothing in these images that I am not in love with. Great ideas, very creative to bring about all this artistic photography. Of course, many thanks for sharing.

TT
08-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I cannot disagree. Nothing in these images that I am not in love with. Great ideas, very creative to bring about all this artistic photography. Of course, many thanks for sharing.

TT
Thanks a ton, buddy.

Jer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flickr, jerry, path, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concrete and Glass bepr Monthly Photo Contests 12 07-12-2020 08:24 AM
Spotmatic and 50 1.4 hard hit onto concrete ZombieArmy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 10-07-2019 02:48 AM
Dropped on concrete and fixed! Just1MoreDave Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 08-09-2019 03:10 PM
Backyard Wild Animals Contest Cool Concrete on a Hot Day davidreilly3207 Post Your Photos! 3 07-08-2018 05:56 PM
Photozone Reviews Tamron 70-200 2.8 HOT! HOT! HOT! JHD Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 31 02-03-2011 09:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top