Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
The Pelican
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Well, it finally cleared for a couple of nights here in Colorado. It's been so cloudy that I haven't been able to do any astrophotography in over a month! The couple clear nights gave way to smoke filled skies as a few decently sized wild fires are now burning in the area. Just my luck

Anyway, I was able to capture around 4 hours of data on the Pelican Nebula. The image looks nice and detailed, with nice reds and oranges on my calibrated monitor, but on my laptop, it looks a little too subdued and not as contrasty. When every I edit, I don't know what monitor I should use as most people don't have calibrated monitors, but it is hard not to use that great large display for photo work.

The Pelican Nebula is a large emission nebula, a stellar nursery. This star forming region also has a few Herbig-Haro structures. One of them is visible on the tip of the gas and dust column. Herbig-Haro structures are formed from ionized gas jets that are ejected from newly forming stars.

The Pelican Nebula is located 1800 light years from Earth.

This image is made from:

66, 90 second H-Alpha photos
66, 90 second OIII photos
42, 90 second SII photos.

Shot with my RASA 11 and ZWO ASI183MM Pro.

Views: 563
08-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

The space is amazing and you just prove it.
08-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another great shot. You invariably make me head into Google to find out a bit more about the image. In this case it was to identify the Herbig-Haro structure There are a few of them there. It adds interest to the image when I know what is going on. Thanks for educating me.
08-14-2020, 02:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. A gorgeous image, well done.

08-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Wow, gorgeous and out of this world!
07-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Well, it finally cleared for a couple of nights here in Colorado. It's been so cloudy that I haven't been able to do any astrophotography in over a month! The couple clear nights gave way to smoke filled skies as a few decently sized wild fires are now burning in the area. Just my luck

Anyway, I was able to capture around 4 hours of data on the Pelican Nebula. The image looks nice and detailed, with nice reds and oranges on my calibrated monitor, but on my laptop, it looks a little too subdued and not as contrasty. When every I edit, I don't know what monitor I should use as most people don't have calibrated monitors, but it is hard not to use that great large display for photo work.

The Pelican Nebula is a large emission nebula, a stellar nursery. This star forming region also has a few Herbig-Haro structures. One of them is visible on the tip of the gas and dust column. Herbig-Haro structures are formed from ionized gas jets that are ejected from newly forming stars.

The Pelican Nebula is located 1800 light years from Earth.

This image is made from:

66, 90 second H-Alpha photos
66, 90 second OIII photos
42, 90 second SII photos.

Shot with my RASA 11 and ZWO ASI183MM Pro.

beautiful shot almost looks like a painting
07-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful work. Takes time to create this type of image. I'm impressed.