Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Evinrude
Lens: 55-300mm Camera: k-70 Photo Location: Norway 
Posted By: Janse, 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM

Ole Evinrude was born in Norway 1877. He and his family emigrated to America 1882.

During a picknick on an island, Evinrude made a 5-mile round-trip rowboat in 90-degrees heat, to fetch his beloved some ice cream. This rowing trip inspired him to develop an outboard motor. Evinrude founded Evinrude Motors in Milwaukee. Evinrude's outboard motor was the first commercial sucess in 1909.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 501
08-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Ole Evinrude was born in Norway 1877. He and his family emigrated to America 1882.

During a picknick on an island, Evinrude made a 5-mile round-trip rowboat in 90-degrees heat, to fetch his beloved some ice cream. This rowing trip inspired him to develop an outboard motor. Evinrude founded Evinrude Motors in Milwaukee. Evinrude's outboard motor was the first commercial sucess in 1909.
Nice picture of the Evinrude motor and the boat. We have an Evinrude 4 HP Deluxe that we use on out 17.5 foot Old Town freighter canoe. Good engine and my grandparents before me, had a small 1930's Evinrude motor on their Peterborough cedar strip runabout boat, when they had a cabin on a Canadian Shield lake.

Another story about Ole Evinrude is that he was a friend of the Harley brothers and John Davidso who were the originators of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

The story goes that the Harleys and Davisdon were having trouble getting their first motorcycle to run properly as it had a carburetor problem. They asked their buddy, Ole to come over and tinker with it and sure enough he got it running well.
08-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot, Janse. When I was a boy, we had Evinrudes ranging from about 7 HP to 55 HP. I've water skied a lot of miles looking at an Evinrude outboard.

Jer
08-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice picture of the Evinrude motor and the boat. We have an Evinrude 4 HP Deluxe that we use on out 17.5 foot Old Town freighter canoe. Good engine and my grandparents before me, had a small 1930's Evinrude motor on their Peterborough cedar strip runabout boat, when they had a cabin on a Canadian Shield lake.

Another story about Ole Evinrude is that he was a friend of the Harley brothers and John Davidso who were the originators of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

The story goes that the Harleys and Davisdon were having trouble getting their first motorcycle to run properly as it had a carburetor problem. They asked their buddy, Ole to come over and tinker with it and sure enough he got it running well.
Thank you for interesting comments.

---------- Post added 08-18-20 at 12:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice shot, Janse. When I was a boy, we had Evinrudes ranging from about 7 HP to 55 HP. I've water skied a lot of miles looking at an Evinrude outboard.

Jer
Thank you for commenting Jer. :-)