Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Black-Faced Cuckoo Shrike
Lens: Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: My Front Yard ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 08-30-2020, 12:10 AM

I used to see these fairly often, they they disappeared for a few years. About 3-4 sightings just in the last two weeks! Always seem to spot them on the local power or telephone cables, never in one of the local trees or bushes.

Name:  PETE7700.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  47.9 KB

Views: 743
09-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I used to see these fairly often, they they disappeared for a few years. About 3-4 sightings just in the last two weeks! Always seem to spot them on the local power or telephone cables, never in one of the local trees or bushes.
I'd rather see him in a 'natural' setting - like a tree or bush - but if this is where he sits, you did a good job with what you have.
09-10-2020, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'd rather see him in a 'natural' setting - like a tree or bush - but if this is where he sits, you did a good job with what you have.
Thanks reh321. A few days later, and I caught him in a tree. Not the best, but here it is. It was a very dull day, and the shot was rather dark: had to lighten it up in Ricoh Digital Image Utility to try and bring out the dark eye from the black face.

Name:  PETE7877 B.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  170.8 KB
09-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both are really great however, I have to go with number one. Your getting a bead on his eye was quite an accomplishment. Nice work, friend.

TT

09-11-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are the cuckoo shrike we get locally in Far North Queensland - they do use powerlines for perching but the odd dead tree provides a useful perch for the flock

Not black facfed clearly but like little bandits with the mask on the eyes.
09-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice captures K2 to K50. In our modern world, power and phones lines have become natural settings, at least to the birds. Where else would you be able to see 50 or more pigeons all lined up in a row like they are on a parade ground?
09-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
These are the cuckoo shrike we get locally in Far North Queensland - they do use powerlines for perching but the odd dead tree provides a useful perch for the flock

Not black facfed clearly but like little bandits with the mask on the eyes.
What a fascinating variation! Thanks for that, Arjay. Did some googling, and it seems (according to one site I found - Bird - Australian Cuckooshrikes) that your birds are called White Bellied Cuckoo Shrikes. It is always fascinating to find that what you always thought was an unique bird is one of a number of variations!

---------- Post added 09-11-20 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Both are really great however, I have to go with number one. Your getting a bead on his eye was quite an accomplishment. Nice work, friend.

TT
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice captures K2 to K50. In our modern world, power and phones lines have become natural settings, at least to the birds. Where else would you be able to see 50 or more pigeons all lined up in a row like they are on a parade ground?
Thanks also to you guys for your interest and comments and/or "Likes". @pichaser, thanks also for your "Like"

09-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
What a fascinating variation! Thanks for that, Arjay. Did some googling, and it seems (according to one site I found - Bird - Australian Cuckooshrikes) that your birds are called White Bellied Cuckoo Shrikes. It is always fascinating to find that what you always thought was an unique bird is one of a number of variations!
It is still 'unique' - they are not familiar to most of us.

Australia is a continent, after all, large enough for variations to develop. I am always surprised at how birds migrate. For example, around here, the {tiny} warblers migrate across {fairly narrow} Lake Erie, but the {much larger} Blue Jays fly around the lake.