Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Ferocious carrot predator living in my backyard. K3 + HD DA 55-300 mm f/4-5.8 ED WR.
Lens: DA 55-300 mm HD Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 09-03-2020, 10:36 AM

I spotted this fierce predator in my backyard this morning. Should I call 9-1-1 ? lol !

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 09-07-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Views: 510
09-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A Groundhog or Woodchuck as some call them. Great Pix. I wouldn't call 911, but hopefully it isn't digging in your yard. They can cause foundation problems.
09-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The monster is hiding under the floor of my shed and feeds from the neighbor's garden. I saw a few cats prowling around the house, I guess they were after it.

Regards

P.S. in French, people call them "SIFFLEUX" (whistlers), strange ...
09-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
The monster is hiding under the floor of my shed and feeds from the neighbor's garden. I saw a few cats prowling around the house, I guess they were after it.

Regards

P.S. in French, people call them "SIFFLEUX" (whistlers), strange ...
They do have a whistle. I have heard one whistling. Think it has something to with letting other groundhogs know there is danger.

I had an very odd encounter with a groundhog one time.

About a decade ago in the late spring I was driving in the Manitoba farming countryside, just a few miles away from where the Canadian Shield begins in the extreme east of Manitoba.

It was a back road, not much traffic. I had my K5 and 55-300, and was looking for something interesting to take a picture of.

I saw a groundhog on top of a round, wooden fence post...the post was about 4 feet high, and was probably around 6 inches or so in diameter. The groundhog was lying on top of the post and I've never seen a groundhog do this before. It was almost as if it was sunning itself . I parked my vehicle at the side of the road and got about 15 feet away from it, took a pix and I was quite surprised when it didn't even move.

I thought this is strange....a wild animal would normally run away with a person coming this close. I advanced slowly to see if there was a problem and got within about 5 feet....when all of a sudden I noticed a brown animal run quickly through the foot high, wild grass...away from me....just under the post where the groundhog was perched.

It was a fisher and I guess that it came across the groundhog and the groundhog must of been lucky to get up the post. This all must of happened just before I got there, or it probably would of been game over for the groundhog.

Les

09-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed, these are wary animals. Thank you for taking the time to post your very interesting comments, Les !

Regards
09-04-2020, 05:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. They actually have a nice colorful coat of fur.
09-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
They do have a whistle. I have heard one whistling. Think it has something to with letting other groundhogs know there is danger.

I had an very odd encounter with a groundhog one time.

About a decade ago in the late spring I was driving in the Manitoba farming countryside, just a few miles away from where the Canadian Shield begins in the extreme east of Manitoba.

It was a back road, not much traffic. I had my K5 and 55-300, and was looking for something interesting to take a picture of.

I saw a groundhog on top of a round, wooden fence post...the post was about 4 feet high, and was probably around 6 inches or so in diameter. The groundhog was lying on top of the post and I've never seen a groundhog do this before. It was almost as if it was sunning itself . I parked my vehicle at the side of the road and got about 15 feet away from it, took a pix and I was quite surprised when it didn't even move.

I thought this is strange....a wild animal would normally run away with a person coming this close. I advanced slowly to see if there was a problem and got within about 5 feet....when all of a sudden I noticed a brown animal run quickly through the foot high, wild grass...away from me....just under the post where the groundhog was perched.

It was a fisher and I guess that it came across the groundhog and the groundhog must of been lucky to get up the post. This all must of happened just before I got there, or it probably would of been game over for the groundhog.

Les
Lovely story but pardon my ignorance what is a fisher?

---------- Post added 04-09-20 at 16:07 ----------

I spotted this fierce predator in my backyard this morning. Should I call 9-1-1 ? lol !
Beautiful photo, attractive animal. WE have something similar but not as colourful called a 'Dassie'.
09-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
Lovely story but pardon my ignorance what is a fisher?

---------- Post added 04-09-20 at 16:07 ----------

A Fisher is member of the Weasel family of animals. They are small carnivores. I've seen a few of them over the years. They are in the smae family as Mink, Badgers, Wolverine (I've seen only one of these), etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...MnXgTxMU699kCC

09-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"SIFFLEUX" (whistlers)

We've always called them "whistlepigs".
09-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks to be eating well
09-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A Fisher is member of the Weasel family of animals. They are small carnivores. I've seen a few of them over the years. They are in the smae family as Mink, Badgers, Wolverine (I've seen only one of these), etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...MnXgTxMU699kCC
Thanks Les. Ours is called a Hyrax
09-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed, these animals feed like crazy during the summer in order to be able to hibernate. This one will keep hidden under my shed in the backyard for 6 months with nothing much to eat. Maybe they amass some reserves of food for the coming wintertime but I think they sink in a deep sleep and will come back to life only in the Spring. There's a saying in French "Gras comme un siffleux", meaning "Fat as a groundhog" ... lol !

Regards
09-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #13

Indeed, these animals feed like crazy during the summer in order to be able to hibernate. This one will keep hidden under my shed in the backyard for 6 months with nothing much to eat. Maybe they amass some reserves of food for the coming wintertime but I think they sink in a deep sleep and will come back to life only in the Spring. There's a saying in French "Gras comme un siffleux", meaning "Fat as a groundhog" ... lol !

Regards
That's so true Richard, but I don't get to sleep that much. hahahahaha