Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
India, part three (or, "About time, Serk!"): Keralan Sunsets
Lens: Yes Camera: K-1 Photo Location: India 
Posted By: Serkevan, 09-05-2020, 05:37 PM

And after... entirely too long (I kept putting this off), the final part of the India trip.

In previous episodes, we had left Jaipur in Rajasthan and were heading South, to the state of Kerala. But before that, another visit to a stepwell where I had entirely too much fun:

Yes, I tried to remove the person but I gave up ). These wells are incredible photo opportunities, but it is impossible to have them all for yourself.
After the Giger-esque structure, we landed in Kochi Airport and headed to the accommodation in Ernakulam. First stop: Barbeque Nation (since we spent several days in vegetarian areas, there were some cravings... despite enjoying all the food immensely throughout the entire trip ). Food was had, mocktails were drunk, lots of oh-so-tasty Gulab Jamun as dessert. And after sleeping off the food (note to self - all you can eat, tasty grilled-on-your-table BBQ at a reasonable price is dangerous), photos! We went by ferry to Fort Kochi and saw the fishermen at work:

Also, lots of crows:

After the first part of the walk, we had some lunch and coffee at Kashi Art Café - easy recommendation: the atmosphere is very nice, coffee is great, the omelette is downright amazing:

Once refueling was done, well, the Keralan sunset took the stage. We had been leisurely walking along the shore for a long while, just chilling and checking stuff up in the many cute shops, but once the sun goes down the cameras come out:

The beautiful Chinese Fishing Nets provide an amazing backdrop for sunset photos. I'm afraid the image does not give justice to the scene, but here it goes:

Once Kochi had us satisfied, we had a two our drive to Allepey, in the Keralan Backwaters. This little town sits between ocean and backwaters, crisscrossed by canals full of colorful boats.

After some more chilling, relaxing and general touristing (including an ayurvedic massage that left me surprisingly loose and relaxed ), we took one of the guided canoe sunset tours.
Of course, Serkevan is not very clever and forgot that a camera ought to have the full battery on a 4-hour shooting tour. Not the almost-empty one. Hence, the very limited selection:

Despite the heat (about 30ºC), the tour was just so relaxing! Definitely take something similar if you have the chance - nature in Kerala is gorgeous. The highlight of the sunset tour, however, was the sunset (duh) which we saw from the ferry:

At that point, the battery resigned. Lots of swearing were had and the Canon got the better shots *shakes fist at air*, but the first of those two sunsets is now an Ilfochrome-on-metal print in my room so it's all good . Honestly, not having the camera gives you the freedom to just... stare at it all and take in the natural beauty.

The day after, we left our accommodation and flew to Delhi for the return flight to Germany (you have no idea how much of a logistical nightmare the trip was ). Nothing much to say from Delhi, in all honesty - our stay there was best described as "it was exhausting to even walk around after two weeks of coming and going" (air pollution also plays a part, it's VERY oppressive) so coffee drinking took up the better part of the day we stayed there . I think the best picture I have of Delhi is from Humayun's Tomb, a gorgeous tomb complex:

And with this the trip came to an end. There are, of course, many more pictures but I believe these are a good selection. I hope you have enjoyed the series!
I'm more than happy to talk about both the photography and travel aspects, so don't hesitate to ask anything
Views: 289
09-05-2020, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Honestly, not having the camera gives you the freedom to just... stare at it all and take in the natural beauty.
Like many things in life, taking a sabbatical from photography should be done in moderation. You have to balance full enjoyment of the moment with not having anything to remind you of the experience much later. Thank you for sharing your memories!
09-06-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Like many things in life, taking a sabbatical from photography should be done in moderation. You have to balance full enjoyment of the moment with not having anything to remind you of the experience much later. Thank you for sharing your memories!
Absolutely true! That's part of the reason why I "only" took a bit over a thousand frames in a two week trip - walking around, visiting landmarks and taking the country in (insofar as a very obvious tourist who cannot touch spicy food can ) took up the better part of the trip. One of the things I like most about traveling is to just sit down at a nice coffee place and just see life go by the street in a different city or country.

Of course, there are a good bunch of documentary snaps that, although not great photos, serve their purpose of torturing my friends and family well.
09-06-2020, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images and a fine travelogue! It sounds like a great time was had when looked at overall. A couple I knew in the Army lived in Southern India for a couple years and loved it also.

09-06-2020, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful images and narrative to go with them! Thanks so much for sharing them.
09-06-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pics. And a good narrative with them.
09-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for kind comments! It was a very interesting experience, and there are indeed many photo opportunities. The people were (almost) all lovely and the food was shockingly good. Not in the sense of "I expected much worse"; rather, it's a completely different cuisine and flavours.