Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Atmospheres
Lens: D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Italy 
Posted By: Chernobog, 09-10-2020, 02:11 AM

Hello, Everyone,
I'm sharing five photos taken in different places in Italy in the year 2020.
All of them were taken with Pentax K-1 and zoom lens 28-105mm.

I wanted to collect five photos that, despite the huge differences, places different and far from each other, very long and very fast shutter speeds, are linked by the common theme of an unreal atmosphere. These images are not what the naked eye can see, but I played with the light imagining different realities.

1. Seascape in Principina a Mare, Grosseto, February 2020

In the first photo I was in Principina a Mare, Tuscany, a tourist destination that is almost desert in february, around sunset you meet only fishermen and a few people strolling. Walking south, my attention has been captured my a trunk stranded on the shore, which despite the waves was perfectly static. What better opportunity for a landscape with silky water effect?

To obtain this photo I mounted my camera on a tripod and I took three shots with different shutter speeds: one for the sky, one for the trunk and the last by mounting an ND 500 filter, which reduces the amount of light entering the lens to 0.2% and allowed a 60 second exposure; I then merged the images dividing along the horizon line and bringing out the details of the trunk.

2. Stubble-burning in Trappola, Grosseto, February 2020

The second place is the valley of the Ombrone river in Tappola. I was driving back to Grosseto at dusk and I pulled over because from the road I saw these bonfires in the semi-darkness. There was a majestic silence in which only the buzz of combustion was heard.

Stubble-burning of plant residues is an ancient and still common tradition in Tuscany, where typically the branches of olive trees are burned. Since 2016, the local authority has identified periods at risk in which there is a strict ban, and in any case it is not allowed in the woods, except for special derogations. Burning can be done when there is no wind, and the column of smoke rises vertically.

In this picture, the long exposure of 30 seconds allowed to highlight the orange coloured haze of smoke on the dark blue sky.

3. Sun over Montespluga, Madesimo, Sondrio, January 2020

The third place is located 700 km further north, in Montespluga, immediately before the border with Switzerland. I was walking on the frozen lake at a temperature of -3 °C. At 2:00 p.m. the sun was already setting behind Mount Cardine.

Here I saw a symmetry and I chose to shoot the sun in a perfectly central position at 1/8000 seconds, making the silhouette of the mountain completely black and the clouds gloomy, with a small glimpse of blue in which the white sphere stands out.

4-5. Seascape in Alberese, Grosseto, August 2020

On August I was again in Tuscany, I was walking on the beach in the Maremma Natural Park, Marina di Alberese, Grosseto. Not far from here is the mouth of Ombrone river and this summer a huge trunk has been carried by the waves.

8 second exposure @ 28 mm, f/11, ISO 100 for the sea and the sky, then fast exposure on crescent moon merged in Photoshop.

6 second exposure

C&C welcome
Views: 466
09-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chernobog Quote
Hello, Everyone,
I'm sharing five photos taken in different places in Italy in the year 2020.
All of them were taken with Pentax K-1 and zoom lens 28-105mm.

I wanted to collect five photos that, despite the huge differences, places different and far from each other, very long and very fast shutter speeds, are linked by the common theme of an unreal atmosphere. These images are not what the naked eye can see, but I played with the light imagining different realities

1. Seascape in Principina a Mare, Grosseto, February 2020

To obtain this photo I mounted my camera on a tripod and I took three shots with different shutter speeds: one for the sky, one for the trunk and the last by mounting an ND 500 filter, which reduces the amount of light entering the lens to 0.2% and allowed a 60 second exposure; I then merged the images dividing along the horizon line and bringing out the details of the trunk.

2. Stubble-burning in Trappola, Grosseto, February 2020

In this picture, the long exposure of 30 seconds allowed to highlight the orange coloured haze of smoke on the dark blue sky.

3. Sun over Montespluga, Madesimo, Sondrio, January 2020

Here I saw a symmetry and I chose to shoot the sun in a perfectly central position at 1/8000 seconds, making the silhouette of the mountain completely black and the clouds gloomy, with a small glimpse of blue in which the white sphere stands out.

4-5. Seascape in Alberese, Grosseto, August 2020

8 second exposure @ 28 mm, f/11, ISO 100 for the sea and the sky, then fast exposure on crescent moon merged in Photoshop.

6 second exposure

C&C welcome
These photos are not ones I would take - I tend to not use long shutter speeds, so I catch what the eye can see - but they are very 'artistic' and do tell stories