Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Post Office Mural
Lens: Tamron 18-250mm1:3.5-6.3 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Manchester, Iowa ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: mroeder75, 09-14-2020, 10:34 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Manchester, Iowa Post Office mural by William E. Henning in 1938. His biographical says Henning is from Cedar Rapids, studied at Stone City, Iowa which would have been under Grant Wood. You can see the Grant Wood influences in his prairie art form mural.
Views: 470
09-14-2020, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
There was a photo essay a few weeks back on The Guardian website about this, some fine examples to be seen.

Searching for America?s 1930s post office murals ? a photo essay | Art and design | The Guardian
09-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welshbhoy Quote
There was a photo essay a few weeks back on The Guardian website about this, some fine examples to be seen.

Searching for America?s 1930s post office murals ? a photo essay | Art and design | The Guardian
The photos in the guardian article are much better framed than mine, which was taken at about 11:00 p.m. when the Post Office was deserted. The photo I took is inside a Post Office in a county seat town of 5,000. Subsequent to reviewing your post I received an invitation on Flickr to include the photo in a group devoted to post office photos which includes a lot of this type of artwork.

I was unaware of the artwork 1930s program referred to in the Guardian article. Each time I am in the Post Office waiting for a clerk I view this mural. And I could not read the name of the artist until I took the photo and expanded it on my monitor. I was curious since I recognized the prairie art form of Grant Wood, and to see he studied in Stone City, confirmed what I have thought about this art since I arrived in this town 29-years ago.