Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Almeda Drive Fire, Talent, Oregon, September 8 - 9, 2020
Lens: 18-135; 50-200 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Talent, OR 
Posted By: Roam Redway, 09-20-2020, 01:19 PM

The Almeda Drive fire, September 8 - 9, 2020, in Southern Oregon, started 2 blocks from my home in Ashland. The strong, gusty winds blew it north instead of into my neighborhood. The fire moved very quickly and burned very hot. The 2 cities just north of Ashland--Talent & Phoenix--were devastated. About 2,500 structures were lost. Luckily, there have only been a couple of deaths.

One branch of it stopped (all by itself) 2 blocks from my office in Talent. These photos come from the that site, between roughly 4 and 6 pm on September 19. I used my K-5. I took some with a DA 18-135mm and others with a DA 50-200mm. I shoot TAv, with auto ISO. Normally, I shoot RAW. I had not shot anything monochrome for 30+ years, so I had the camera process the photos so I could see how they were coming out while I was shooting. I did crop probably half of them, and did some modest PP on a few to lightly adjust some of the contrast. This was mostly to compensate for the -.7 or -.3 EV i shot many with. All PP was done with the Apple Photos App, v. 5.0.

My biggest take away from this session is that I would prefer less depth of field. These posted ones are generally OK for DOF, but the ones I'm not posting look too flat. I'll probably go out again, maybe shooting some B&W film on my old Super Program. I'll open the aperture more.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,021
09-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have done a good job of capturing the effects of the fire. It is a tragedy. There are too many fires all over now (we had bad ones last summer). I hope things get damped down there soon.
09-20-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crisp and haunting. Thank you for posting.

---------- Post added 09-20-2020 at 05:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
My biggest take away from this session is that I would prefer less depth of field. These posted ones are generally OK for DOF, but the ones I'm not posting look too flat. I'll probably go out again, maybe shooting some B&W film on my old Super Program. I'll open the aperture more.
A recommendation? Try a +1 or +2 diopter macro filter (aka "close up filter" on your lens. You'll gain a modest amount of close-focus ability, and you'll also lose the ability to focus at infinite. You're mostly doing "almost macro" shots anyway. I like that you aren't showing us whole landscapes of despair, but instead using small detail shots to hint at a larger story. A +1 diopter macro screwed onto the end of your 18135 won't suddenly turn it into a lens for capturing a grasshopper's freckles, but it will cut depth of field and maybe draw you into what seems to be a strength of this project for you.
09-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Crisp and haunting. Thank you for posting.

---------- Post added 09-20-2020 at 05:19 PM ----------

A recommendation? Try a +1 or +2 diopter macro filter (aka "close up filter" on your lens. You'll gain a modest amount of close-focus ability, and you'll also lose the ability to focus at infinite. You're mostly doing "almost macro" shots anyway. I like that you aren't showing us whole landscapes of despair, but instead using small detail shots to hint at a larger story. A +1 diopter macro screwed onto the end of your 18135 won't suddenly turn it into a lens for capturing a grasshopper's freckles, but it will cut depth of field and maybe draw you into what seems to be a strength of this project for you.
Thank you for your suggestion. I was not familiar with the technique.

12-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

nice series, sad event, i like the 9th photo best