Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightburst
Posted By: JMR, 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Here are two shots of light bursting through mist and trees into lowland area off a road. Beautiful scene. Neither photo is enhanced, just resized. As I said in my post to "Woof", the zoom lens is a real problem when shooting into light. That's why I include the second shot showing a lot of flare. I kind of knew there might be flare, but it was not always easy to tell. Luckily I salvaged about three images. This is not a problem peculiar to Pentax equipment, just zooms in general and any camera that does not see full frame, which is most cameras on the market. Just thought I would share this info in case anyone runs into similar situations. Try what Woof said, hold a hat or your hand or something as an extension of your lens hood. I was too excited about the scene and moving too quickly to think of it. Sorry for the long post.

JMR - Impressions and landscapes- powered by SmugMug

Last edited by JMR; 11-11-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Views: 1,263
11-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both good shots but the second one is more dramatic. Too bad about the flare. maybe crop it some and see how it looks with that part gone.

What lens? I don't have serious trouble with my zooms. It does happen but not often. I've used the hat idea or just my hand a few time. Hoods are a must have. I don;t agree that full frame has anything to do with flare though, unless you mean the hoods could be deeper because of the cropped sensor. It happened on my PZ-1p and LX as well under certain conditions.
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Here are two shots of light bursting through mist and trees into lowland area off a road.
JMR... I really like these. The second one has more definition on the "shadows in air," but the first one is really very good.

I am always looking for things like this. Mist / fog is always very interesting, especially where direct sunlight also gets involved. Nice catch...

Seaain
11-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Both good shots but the second one is more dramatic. Too bad about the flare. maybe crop it some and see how it looks with that part gone.

What lens? I don't have serious trouble with my zooms. It does happen but not often. I've used the hat idea or just my hand a few time. Hoods are a must have. I don;t agree that full frame has anything to do with flare though, unless you mean the hoods could be deeper because of the cropped sensor. It happened on my PZ-1p and LX as well under certain conditions.
Thanks for the feed back. I used a hood but just couldn't keep out the flare and still get the composition I wanted. Yes, I meant the the hood would be narrower because it would be designed for full coverage.

JMR

11-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
JMR... I really like these. The second one has more definition on the "shadows in air," but the first one is really very good.

I am always looking for things like this. Mist / fog is always very interesting, especially where direct sunlight also gets involved. Nice catch...

Seaain
Thanks. Yes, the more I moved to capture the angle with the greatest dramatic lighting, the less I was able to avoid flare and still get a good composition. Maybe next time.

JMR
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JMR I hope you don't mind but I fooled around with the second image and added some contrast to it. The crop is square but I bet this would look great as a canvas print and framed. I agree that the first one is good too but this one just grabs me, maybe because there is nothing in the foreground area of the frame.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots JMR, lens flare can be a problem with any lens under the right (wrong) conditions. On a tripod it is not a problem at all but handholding a zoom with one hand and using the other hand as a sunshade becomes at times a little problematic.

Here is what I would do with the first one, I cropped it but it would also look ok with the whole frame.

Hope that you don't mind,
11-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Beautiful shots JMR and I'm going to go against the grain and say that I actually like the flare.

11-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JMR I hope you don't mind but I fooled around with the second image and added some contrast to it. The crop is square but I bet this would look great as a canvas print and framed. I agree that the first one is good too but this one just grabs me, maybe because there is nothing in the foreground area of the frame.
Yes it is tempting to crop and enhance the image but I like the original composition and the soft gold light and rays. No matter what I do, I always come back to the orignal because the changes affect the light. But thanks anyway.

JMR
11-08-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice shots JMR, lens flare can be a problem with any lens under the right (wrong) conditions. On a tripod it is not a problem at all but handholding a zoom with one hand and using the other hand as a sunshade becomes at times a little problematic.

Here is what I would do with the first one, I cropped it but it would also look ok with the whole frame.

Hope that you don't mind,
It's OK. But as I sad to Peter, notice that the quality of the gold light has been altered. Next time I will be more careful and use a hat or something. I did have a tripod, as I shoot well over 90% of all my shots with a tripod.

JMR
11-08-2008, 04:59 AM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Beautiful shots JMR and I'm going to go against the grain and say that I actually like the flare.
Oh, you are too kind. Perhaps if the flare was a little more controlled and less pronounced like in Joni's bokeh. But thanks Gary.

JMR