Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Some birds with my old stand by
Posted By: Lowell Goudge, 09-22-2020, 03:34 PM

Cross posted with the 300mm+ lens club
Shooting today with my old Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX ( non DG non macro) plus sigma 2xTC. Shot on the K5. Considering I bought this lens with my *istD in 2003, it goes to show that getting quality glass is always a good investment. The lens has out lasted a n*istD, K10D, K7D, K5D and I now split its duty between the K5D and a K1 MK2

While I have used my new DA 560 a lot lately my old stand by for birding can still do the job, although I am getting spoiled with the precision of the AF with the DA560. I think it is largely the indecision and backlash in the screw drive of the old sigma
Views: 278
09-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Cross posted with the 300mm+ lens club
Shooting today with my old Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX ( non DG non macro) plus sigma 2xTC. Shot on the K5. Considering I bought this lens with my *istD in 2003, it goes to show that getting quality glass is always a good investment. The lens has out lasted a n*istD, K10D, K7D, K5D and I now split its duty between the K5D and a K1 MK2

While I have used my new DA 560 a lot lately my old stand by for birding can still do the job, although I am getting spoiled with the precision of the AF with the DA560. I think it is largely the indecision and backlash in the screw drive of the old sigma
{emphasis added by me}
Yes, you can get good photos using this older lens, but I am uneasy about your use of the word "investment".
That word is often used by people to mean something that increases in value.
In your last sentence, you indicate an awareness that screw-drive AF has its issues, and I believe that will be found to be an issue with all older Pentax lenses.
09-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
{emphasis added by me}
Yes, you can get good photos using this older lens, but I am uneasy about your use of the word "investment".
That word is often used by people to mean something that increases in value.
. For camera gear, it means a) it lasts for a long time, and b) depreciates slower. However for several years, the selling price used, exceeded what I paid new because sigma took time to continue support for Pentax
QuoteQuote:
In your last sentence, you indicate an awareness that screw-drive AF has its issues, and I believe that will be found to be an issue with all older Pentax lenses.
It is not an issue normally but the backlash through the addition of the 2x TC Is a bit of a problem. With a 1.4x it is much better. If the lens dies I would likely replace it with the 150-450