Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Our neighbourhood raven
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: South Algonquin Township ISO: 1600 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 09-27-2020, 08:55 AM

On most of our walks this guys spots us, then follows us, then sits in the tree and talks to us.

Can you see him?


How about now?



Talking away, lots of different vocalizations.




Last edited by normhead; 09-27-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Views: 282
09-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grog85361's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 726
Amazing birds, very intelligent. Great images!

Do you use the 55-300 in crop or full frame mode on the K1?

Always enjoy your posts.
09-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,931
Original Poster
I use full frame mode framing with a lot of border space then crop.

The final image size, 22 MP on this one is always better than a cropped APS-c image. A cropped 24 MP image cropped to 16:9 typically wouldn't be better than 18 MP, so you do get a resolution bump by shooting on the K-1 and cropping. And many of the crops on this lens and camera combo are in excess of 30 MP.

Last edited by normhead; 09-27-2020 at 11:06 AM.
09-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grog85361's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 726
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I use full frame mode framing with a lot of border space then crop.

The final image size, 22 MP on this one is always better than a cropped APS-c image. A cropped 24 MP image cropped to 16:9 typically wouldn't be better than 18 MP, so you do get a resolution bump by shooting on the K-1 and cropping. And many of the crops on this lens and camera combo are in excess of 30 MP.
Thank you. I will have to try this!

09-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,117
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On most of our walks this guys spots us, then follows us, then sits in the tree and talks to us.

Can you see him?


How about now?



Talking away, lots of different vocalizations.


You did a good job of capturing this guy in action.
09-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,931
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Thank you. I will have to try this!
First thing, figure out which focal lenghs it vignettes badly at. My recollection I it's rough 100-200mm and I avoid shooting at those focal lengths. Even with the limitations, at it's weight it's an awesome piece of walk around kit.
09-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,301
Excellent series Norm. I am not surprised by his behavior. They are highly intelligent as well as social, so he probably likes the entertainment.
09-28-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,931
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent series Norm. I am not surprised by his behavior. They are highly intelligent as well as social, so he probably likes the entertainment.
When he's feeling really frisky, he dive bombs the dogs.

---------- Post added 09-28-20 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You did a good job of capturing this guy in action.
It would have been hard to get a shot of him, not in action.

09-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian
RoxnDox's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, Terra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,123
Great shot, ravens are quite impressive birds... This fella looks like he has flown around the block a time or two, not exactly the sleek black appearance you usually see.
09-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,931
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Great shot, ravens are quite impressive birds... This fella looks like he has flown around the block a time or two, not exactly the sleek black appearance you usually see.
This time of year. lot of the birds look a bit ragged.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
action, camera, flickr, head, norm, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Raven Cliffs Falls awscreo Post Your Photos! 5 08-22-2020 02:03 PM
Nature 2020-05-19-AP-raven normhead Post Your Photos! 4 05-19-2020 07:19 AM
Nature Fall in the neighbourhood normhead Post Your Photos! 3 06-16-2018 11:37 AM
Landscape Rich neighbourhood... Neville Post Your Photos! 0 07-07-2014 04:34 AM
Some of the first winter photos from my neighbourhood gawan Post Your Photos! 17 11-28-2008 10:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top