Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11 Likes  #1
Autumn above the Arctic Circle
Lens: Samyang 24mm, DA*300mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Abisko National Park, Sweden 
Posted By: Fries, 09-27-2020, 01:10 PM

When you drive north from the Netherlands trough Germany, Denmark and further you might end up in Sweden and see the autumn colors getting stronger. Above the arctic circle in the mountain regions bordering Norway the landscape is a dream for landscape photographers. Due to the Covid situation I couldn't get into my original travel destination; Northern Norway. But this was by no means a less interesting alternative. Enjoy the photo's!

Cheers,

Remco

1. Panorama made with two photo's on my way, hiking.

2. Same view but a bit different location

3. Covid is relevant in National Parks too.

4. Bridge near a mountain cabin

5. The Abisko river (1).

6. The Abisko river (2) with the winter trail over the river already marked.

7. The Northern Lights made an appearance but not very strong

Views: 1,319
09-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi Fries,

Beautiful images, although the landscape is barren due to the latitude, you can shoot the Northern Lights later, do not despair.
The fourth image remember me 'The Bridge on the River Kwai', no? Good shots....

Ciao Mario

Last edited by maw; 09-27-2020 at 01:57 PM.
09-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly did enjoy them, Fries. A nice series of shots of Autumn in far northern latitudes. It is a contrast to where I live and "Spring has sprung" (although less dramatically than it would there). Then again, this week I am in Cairns doing a bit of work and the traditional seasons have no real meaning. It is a pleasant 31 deg C today!
09-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding series, Remco - as always!

Jer

09-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb series of images, very impressive!!
09-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Beautiful! The geologist in me really loves the second shot, all that bedrock in the foreground.
09-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an outstanding series of beautiful looking country! Well done.

09-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
When you drive north from the Netherlands trough Germany, Denmark and further you might end up in Sweden and see the autumn colors getting stronger. Above the arctic circle in the mountain regions bordering Norway the landscape is a dream for landscape photographers.
Very enjoyable set of pictures. Thank you. The colours are spectacular.

Your trip prompted me to look on the map (Google, actually). The road trip must seem long from the Netherlands!

In all of Canada, there is only one road that reaches that latitude of 68 degrees N -- the town of Inuvik in the Northwest Territories is actually at the same latitude as Abisko - 68° 21′ N. The climate is much harsher than in northern Sweden, and the land much more barren.

I could reach Inuvik by road from Ottawa, but it would be 6,600 km one way! Pack plenty of snacks.

- Craig
09-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lovely series Remco. I think the lack of strong northern lights make the last one pretty impressive. The subtlety of the pink cloud on the horizon is just fantastic. I also find the second image to be another favorite. The rock in the foreground was well chosen.
09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi Fries,

Beautiful images, although the landscape is barren due to the latitude, you can shoot the Northern Lights later, do not despair.
The fourth image remember me 'The Bridge on the River Kwai', no? Good shots....

Ciao Mario
Thanks for again expressing your opinion about my photography Mario! I have been traveling to Scandinavia since 1982. First with my parents and later as an adult I continued this 'tradition'. Especially the world above the arctic circle has my interest. Whilst the landscape might nog be as lush as your native country it is for the most part a still intact ecosystem which has been touched by mankind but no ruined... yet. I have seen and heard lots of wildlife, fished the rivers and already seen the Northern Lights (see below). So rest assured I won't despair! I might already have seen more than I deserve.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I certainly did enjoy them, Fries. A nice series of shots of Autumn in far northern latitudes. It is a contrast to where I live and "Spring has sprung" (although less dramatically than it would there). Then again, this week I am in Cairns doing a bit of work and the traditional seasons have no real meaning. It is a pleasant 31 deg C today!
Thanks Peter! Perhaps my pictures provided you with at least a hint of fresh air! We had 31 deg C this summer and I do find it very difficult to function as a normal human being with those kind of temperatures. Isn't Cairns in the tropical part of Australia?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding series, Remco - as always!

Jer
I am glad Jer that I didn't disappoint you! I seem to have a reputation to uphold.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Superb series of images, very impressive!!
Thanks Larry! The quality of the landscape surly has a lot to do with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Beautiful! The geologist in me really loves the second shot, all that bedrock in the foreground.
Thanks Jim! Most of my photography is done near the seaside and on the seabed at low tide. In those surroundings you learn quickly the merits of having a solid foreground in ones photo's.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is an outstanding series of beautiful looking country! Well done.
Todd, thank you! I have tried to do that country justice with my photography. They might let me in for another try after this visit.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Very enjoyable set of pictures. Thank you. The colours are spectacular.

Your trip prompted me to look on the map (Google, actually). The road trip must seem long from the Netherlands!

In all of Canada, there is only one road that reaches that latitude of 68 degrees N -- the town of Inuvik in the Northwest Territories is actually at the same latitude as Abisko - 68° 21′ N. The climate is much harsher than in northern Sweden, and the land much more barren.

I could reach Inuvik by road from Ottawa, but it would be 6,600 km one way! Pack plenty of snacks.

- Craig
Craig, you are most welcome! The Northwest Territories have been on my wishlist but instead I make do with the European equivalent. You are off course right that there are big differences between Abisko and those Territories but when you travel even more to the north al the way to the top end of Norway you will see also a more barren landscape. That was my intention before Covid made that impossible. So the drive to Northern Sweden was indeed a long one but not as long as intended! Because of environmental concerns I decided last year to forego travel by plane and traveled three day's by car to get home. The last day's travel lasted 15 hours because my plans to stay overnight in Denmark were once again thwarted by Covid; Denmark only accepted Dutch nationals under certain conditions I did not meet. Driving trough the country without stopping was allowed though... After that I decided to go all the way with lots of snack and without diner.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lovely series Remco. I think the lack of strong northern lights make the last one pretty impressive. The subtlety of the pink cloud on the horizon is just fantastic. I also find the second image to be another favorite. The rock in the foreground was well chosen.
Thanks Susan! The pink cloud is from the civilized world about 13 kilometers away near the road between 'Riksgrinsen' and the town of Kiruna. A congregation of people from afar very often seems to announce itself with lots of electric lights.
09-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't Cairns in the tropical part of Australia?
It certainly is. I am actually working at Yarrabah - an Aboriginal community outside Cairns - where we are training people for work as security guards. It's funny though - 31C is just nice for me. It never gets much past that in Cairns because it has a coastal climate (although there are too many nasty things in the water to go swimming). On the other hand, when it gets above 42C in summer back home, I start to wilt a bit.

There are steep hills covered in very thick jungle around Cairns but I don't have time for photography unfortunately.
09-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
maw
Pentaxian

Thanks for again expressing your opinion about my photography Mario! I have been traveling to Scandinavia since 1982. First with my parents and later as an adult I continued this 'tradition'. Especially the world above the arctic circle has my interest. Whilst the landscape might nog be as lush as your native country it is for the most part a still intact ecosystem which has been touched by mankind but no ruined... yet. I have seen and heard lots of wildlife, fished the rivers and already seen the Northern Lights (see below). So rest assured I won't despair! I might already have seen more than I deserve.

Wise words, I understand your conception of life, I too would prefer to stay away from the hype and noise of the city, but previous commitments do not allow you to make these choices.
What I would like is for progress (although essential and indispensable) to slow down a little to take a break, you are doing it and I am in total harmony with your lifestyle.

Have fun and send us new visions from a place inaccessible to most people.

Ciao Mario
09-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How can you travel so freely across borders of so many countries?
10-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Wise words, I understand your conception of life, I too would prefer to stay away from the hype and noise of the city, but previous commitments do not allow you to make these choices.
What I would like is for progress (although essential and indispensable) to slow down a little to take a break, you are doing it and I am in total harmony with your lifestyle.

Have fun and send us new visions from a place inaccessible to most people.

Ciao Mario
I will Mario. Thanks!

Greetings, Remco

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
How can you travel so freely across borders of so many countries?
When I left the Netherlands the Corona virus was somewhat under control. Only Norway and Finland have such strict criteria that those countries were closed to me and my countrymen. Germany was open. As was Denmark. Sweden opened up later to us after our own government deemed it to be not safe earlier due to the amount of Covid cases. So I loaded my car with hand disinfectants, some masks and latex gloves and started my travels. The situation for people outside the European Union is different. And for US citizens it is for the most part impossible to go abroad for leisure due to the Covid situation.

During my travels I kept informed about the latest news about Covid in my own country, Sweden, Denmark en Germany. Partly by using information from the Norwegian health authorities because they kept a close eye the situation in Sweden and Denmark. So when the Norwegian closed traffic from certain Swedish provinces and Germany closed its borders for Dutch people out of two provinces because the case count was rising I decided to cut my holiday short and returned. At that time Denmark closed it's borders for people out of the Netherlands. Luckily the border with Sweden was still open and I was able to drive trough Denmark using the shortest route to Germany.
10-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will Mario. Thanks!

Greetings, Remco

When I left the Netherlands the Corona virus was somewhat under control. Only Norway and Finland have such strict criteria that those countries were closed to me and my countrymen. Germany was open. As was Denmark. Sweden opened up later to us after our own government deemed it to be not safe earlier due to the amount of Covid cases. So I loaded my car with hand disinfectants, some masks and latex gloves and started my travels. The situation for people outside the European Union is different. And for US citizens it is for the most part impossible to go abroad for leisure due to the Covid situation.

During my travels I kept informed about the latest news about Covid in my own country, Sweden, Denmark en Germany. Partly by using information from the Norwegian health authorities because they kept a close eye the situation in Sweden and Denmark. So when the Norwegian closed traffic from certain Swedish provinces and Germany closed its borders for Dutch people out of two provinces because the case count was rising I decided to cut my holiday short and returned. At that time Denmark closed it's borders for people out of the Netherlands. Luckily the border with Sweden was still open and I was able to drive trough Denmark using the shortest route to Germany.
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds stressful. I am trying to isolate to the extent possible. Our state has a very high overall infection rate.