Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
West Fork Canyon Wall
Lens: HD DA16-85 Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Northern Arizona ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: ToddK, 09-28-2020, 05:48 AM

I always hear banjos and think of John Voight when I look at this for some reason...

This is between Sedona and Flagstaff taken from the popular West Fork trail.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 348
09-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a picture of that same rock face, I took in 2016.

I thought I was the only one that heard banjos there...:-O
09-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice way of framing the rock with the trees included on both sides.
09-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It reminds me of Yosemite. I've also been to Zion, but I don't remember so many trees there.

09-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, my friend.

Jer
09-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I have a picture of that same rock face, I took in 2016.

I thought I was the only one that heard banjos there...:-O
Thanks grog! That is one of my favorite hikes in the area.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Nice way of framing the rock with the trees included on both sides.
Thanks so much Fries!
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It reminds me of Yosemite. I've also been to Zion, but I don't remember so many trees there.
Thank you Rob! It has been quite some time since I went to Zion, but it definitely has some similarities to this area.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice one, my friend.
Thank you Jer!
09-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Thank you Rob! It has been quite some time since I went to Zion, but it definitely has some similarities to this area.
I saw Zion in 1982, so you may have visited more recently. The only US National Park I've visited more recently was Yosemite in 1994.
(In 1982 I was lucky enough to visit Shenandoah, the Okeefenokee swamp in Florida, Meteor Crater in Arizona, Sunset crater, the painted desert, the petrified forest, Zion, Bryce, Carlsbad, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Glacier, Mt Ranier, Kings Canyon Sequoia, Redwoods, Yosemite and a couple of others the names of which escape me. I wish I could visit them all again with the camera gear I have now!)
09-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw Zion in 1982, so you may have visited more recently.
It was not much later when I was there, 1985 or 1986. You saw some great places. There are several on your list that I have not seen yet.

09-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It was not much later when I was there, 1985 or 1986. You saw some great places. There are several on your list that I have not seen yet.
It was an amazing trip. When I went back to Yosemite in 1994 I drove over the Tioga pass road, which has got to be one of the most spectacular drives in the USA. There was another place I didn't mention - my brother and I walked from the South rim to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
09-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There was another place I didn't mention - my brother and I walked from the South rim to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
That had to be a spectacular hike, plus a lot of work. How long did you take to do it?
09-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That had to be a spectacular hike, plus a lot of work. How long did you take to do it?
We started at dawn each morning and didn't hike in the middle of the day. On the first morning we walked from the south rim (6,500 feet altitude) to the north side of the river (2,500 feet altitude), then to Phantom Ranch campground in the cool of the afternoon. The nest day was a long slow hike to Cottonwood campground (about 4000 feet altitude). On the last morning we walked from Cottonwood to the north rim (8,500 feet altitude) in 5.5 hours, which was absolutely exhausting. I'm certainly not fit enough to do it now, but I still wouldn't teeter on the back of a mule over the edge of all those cliffs! It was an amazing experience.
09-30-2020, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We started at dawn each morning and didn't hike in the middle of the day. On the first morning we walked from the south rim (6,500 feet altitude) to the north side of the river (2,500 feet altitude), then to Phantom Ranch campground in the cool of the afternoon. The nest day was a long slow hike to Cottonwood campground (about 4000 feet altitude). On the last morning we walked from Cottonwood to the north rim (8,500 feet altitude) in 5.5 hours, which was absolutely exhausting. I'm certainly not fit enough to do it now, but I still wouldn't teeter on the back of a mule over the edge of all those cliffs! It was an amazing experience.
That sounds like a great experience! Thanks for sharing it.