Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
All bound for morning town
Lens: HDDA 16-85 WR Camera: K3 Photo Location: Yenda, NSW ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 09-30-2020, 03:56 AM

All bound for morning town
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 333
09-30-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great composition, Rob. The sun splash illuminates the tracks and the tracks provide leading lines back to the sun splash!

Jer
09-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great composition, Rob. The sun splash illuminates the tracks and the tracks provide leading lines back to the sun splash!
Thanks Jer! I kind of wish I'd walked a few metres down the track to eliminate the post, because it's a bit too distracting, and it's hard to crop out while retaining the 16x9 ratio. I have a square crop for Instagram, but it's a bit too tight.
09-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a terrific image Rob! Perfect timing to capture the light on the rails and the radiant lines of the sun through the clouds. The post is not an issue to me at all. Something you would expect to see along a track.

09-30-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting.

P.S.
Malvena Reynolds was a friend of my moms, when they were both pretty young, so of course we had all her recordings.
"Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise
Underneath their blankets , go all the girls and boys...

All bound for morning town, many miles away.."

I haven't thought of that song for years, although I heard it often in my youth.

Last edited by normhead; 09-30-2020 at 08:04 AM.
09-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Malvena Reynolds was a friend of my moms, when they were both pretty young, so of course we had all her recordings.
I haven't thought of that song for years, although I heard it often in my youth.
I hope you enjoyed the earworm! I didn't realise that the song by The Seekers was a cover version, so thanks for letting me know. It's cool that you have a connection with Malvena. I remember that song playing on the radio while my family travelled on school holidays, especially when we were going south to the mountains for skiing. I was curious if anyone would pick up the hint from the title, so thank you.
09-30-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I hope you enjoyed the earworm! I didn't realise that the song by The Seekers was a cover version, so thanks for letting me know. It's cool that you have a connection with Malvena. I remember that song playing on the radio while my family travelled on school holidays, especially when we were going south to the mountains for skiing. I was curious if anyone would pick up the hint from the title, so thank you.
It's a small world.
It's stuck in my brain , I may have to look up the rest of the words.
09-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pic, Rob. Love the reflection of the sunrise on the rails.

I too picked up the old "Morning Town" tune in my head. I have it on CD, in fact - I was (am?) a great fan of the Seekers, especially that beautiful soaring voice of Judy Durham.

I see this shot is from the same general "Griffiths" area as your "Avocet Dance" pic. Did you go into the Cocoparra National Park?

I drove down the Newell Highway from Ipswich to Melbourne almost every Christmas season for over 20 yrs, but never took the time for detours (did not have a camera for most of that time) - but wonder if I should do a more prolonged trip, with many detours, while I still (hopefully!) have it in me (and, of course, I have my KP now).

Anyway, hope you are enjoying/have enjoyed your "roadie".

09-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Nice pic, Rob. Love the reflection of the sunrise on the rails.
Thanks! Sunset - I'm not a morning person, which plays havoc with being a birdwatcher.

QuoteQuote:
I too picked up the old "Morning Town" tune in my head. I have it on CD, in fact - I was (am?) a great fan of the Seekers, especially that beautiful soaring voice of Judy Durham.
I miss light music you can sing to.

QuoteQuote:
I see this shot is from the same general "Griffith" area as your "Avocet Dance" pic. Did you go into the Cocoparra National Park?
Yes, on the way to Griffith I went to the southern end of Cocoparra and Spring Hill Picnic Area, and did the short walk to Falcon Falls (but no Peregrine Falcons seen, sadly).

QuoteQuote:
I drove down the Newell Highway from Ipswich to Melbourne almost every Christmas season for over 20 yrs, but never took the time for detours (did not have a camera for most of that time) - but wonder if I should do a more prolonged trip, with many detours, while I still (hopefully!) have it in me (and, of course, I have my KP now).
I definitely recommend Fivebough Wetlands at Leeton and Campbell's Swamp at Griffith. The first time I went to Campbell's Swamp it was very dry, but even so I saw White-fronted and Crimson Chats, which I haven't seen since. At the moment the wetlands are soaked with recent rain, so there's lots of waterbirds. Cocoparra was a bit overgrown with weeds, but still interesting. At some point I'll drive further northwest when it's drier, and maybe see more of Nombinnie Nature reserve on the way to Cobar - when I went there recently, the roads had a lot of muddy pools and potholes.

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, hope you are enjoying/have enjoyed your "roadie".
I certainly did! There's a lot of people out and about in caravans and mobile homes (not my preference) who are also taking the chance to travel within Australia.
09-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks Jer! I kind of wish I'd walked a few metres down the track to eliminate the post, because it's a bit too distracting...
Nah, leave it, yeah.

- Jimmy Page

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-30-2020 at 11:53 PM.
10-01-2020, 12:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nah, leave it, yeah.

- Jimmy Page

OK, if it's not too distracting.