Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Very good news: a large print order (literally!!!) - one stunned me!!??
Posted By: Marc Langille, 11-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Images in the order, all 8x10's unless otherwise specified:

Two prints of this image:

11x19:

The next image is the amazing part of the order: I have a potential print request for the image below. The potential buyer asked how big can I print my images. I explained the pixel resolution, and if cropped, I can uprez the image if needed. I wasn't worried, since most never want beyond a 20x30.

He asked if I can print it at 36" x 48" (3 feet by 4 feet)!!!
Luckily it's in RAW and I already have a 400 DPI TIFF ready...

If this all goes through (just the last print is pending), I've brought in over quite a bit of money in orders yesterday. Wow... I need to put together a proper business plan soon...

Regards,
Marc
Views: 4,446
11-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
Damn Brit

Marc, that's fantastic news, you thoroughly deserve it for your hard work and dedication that you've been putting in over the last year.
If I remember correctly that last shot was taken with the 'lowly' 50-200. Not bad for a kit lens eh?

11-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
JMR
Veteran Member

What more is there to say. Excellent images and congratulations.

JMR
11-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Like Jimbo, number 4 is new to me. Excellent shot. No wonder you are able to sell them, outstanding work.
Thank you sir - it was quite a surprise from the early morning conversation to the outcome later in the day...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
Wow Marc!

I really gotta hand it to ya', you take some extraordinary photos.

Would you share some lighting tips from the macro shots? The hoverfly shot is nothing short of amazing.

Mark
Thank you Mark - so I believe you have James' A* 200/ macro? Congratulations on such a fine lens! You may know I have the FA* 200/4, and that's my lens of choice.

The flash setup is quite easy: Promaster flash extension cable to AF 540 flash with Sto-Fen diffuser. Nothing difficult to handle, since it's on a tripod with a cabled remote. This is a moderate crop, since the subject was over 2 feet away and quite tiny... He was within a cluster of leaves on the bush, sort of buried within them. I simply held the flash at slightly above the level of the lens hood (on it's left) and fired about 6-8 shots. I was impressed with the clarity of the results.

Does that help?

Regards,
Marc
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi Mark: I don't comment every time - but I study every one of your images and I enjoy reading of your successes. When I first joined this Forum a small group of members was trying to round up sponsorship money for the competition. Now you are selling wall-sized prints.

How cool is that!! The eye, willingness, practice and perseverance . . .

All the images are beautiful, but the windmill knocks my socks off!

"Print" gives me ideas :ugh:

Congrats
Thank you Paul! I am not sure if you want to study them all... I always seem to find a flaw somewhere... That being said, the positive effect is to make me want to get a better shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Marc, that's fantastic news, you thoroughly deserve it for your hard work and dedication that you've been putting in over the last year.
If I remember correctly that last shot was taken with the 'lowly' 50-200. Not bad for a kit lens eh?
Thanks Gary - I sincerely appreciate your post! It's been a hard & fast learning curve, but a great one...

You are correct - the sunrise/windmill shot was taken with the DA 50-200.

I was surprised at my income from photography since August. I've been doing only part time work and not promoting myself at all. I could have easily purchased a K20D + DA* 300/4 and still had several hundred left over (today's prices). That 36 x 48 is NOT cheap, but it's a fair price. I'm finally getting comfortable with what I am asking, although the smaller prints may go up a bit...

Regards,
Marc

11-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

Thank you Mark - so I believe you have James' A* 200/ macro? Congratulations on such a fine lens! You may know I have the FA* 200/4, and that's my lens of choice.

The flash setup is quite easy: Promaster flash extension cable to AF 540 flash with Sto-Fen diffuser. Nothing difficult to handle, since it's on a tripod with a cabled remote. This is a moderate crop, since the subject was over 2 feet away and quite tiny... He was within a cluster of leaves on the bush, sort of buried within them. I simply held the flash at slightly above the level of the lens hood (on it's left) and fired about 6-8 shots. I was impressed with the clarity of the results.

Does that help?

Regards,
Marc

Thank you Marc, you are a kind and generous person. And yes you are right, I have James' 200. All I need now is a extension cable... I'm off to the wanted forum

Mark
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
jeffkpotter

Congratulations Marc! Absolutely sublime work. Love 'em all, but the windmill sunset takes my breath away.
11-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Really stunning photos.
They are GREAT!!!

11-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm going to give you a hard time here Jim: it's one of the images in this post that I'm sending you. However, you must wait to figure out which one... you are in the virtual dog house until then.
Dog house! I have been living there since I purchased the Sigma 70-200.. I can hardly wait for your picture to arrive. Hopefully by then you have let me come out of the dog house.... cheers JIMBO

PS: Beautiful shot Gary picked.... You nialed that one... JIMBO
11-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
What more is there to say. Excellent images and congratulations.

JMR
JMR, I always appreciate your comments. I may not always have time to comment on your work, but I certainly go look!! Thank you.

Regards,
Marc
11-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Congratulations Marc! Absolutely sublime work. Love 'em all, but the windmill sunset takes my breath away.
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!

I'm hoping he wants the 36" x 48" print. I am hoping it too will be breathtaking!! I may post a photo of the print and I with it prior to it's delivery (if I remember)...
11-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definately add my congratulations... I always liked the windmill sunset, but the egret flipping the fish to line it up (3rd shot) is my favorite.
11-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sleepy Quote
Really stunning photos.
They are GREAT!!!
Thanks Sleepy! You are very kind.
11-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Absolutely fantastic, congrats on the sales they are certainly well deserved.
11-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Congratulations Marc! That must be a good feeling.
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #30
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well done. great job on all of those shots...