Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Sun's Out and It's Time to Play
Lens: D FA 15-30/2.8 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Near a Row of Palms 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-09-2020, 02:30 PM

While I love my car, I'm kinda tired of photographing it. I really enjoy doing automotive photography, but there have been few of the car shows and other activities I normally exploit to scratch my auto-photo itch. Consequently, I've been pulling out my 911 - which doubtlessly is weary of posing - to explore my new D FA 15-30.

The 15-30 is a very slick performer which operates quickly and silently and - to my eye - renders images with deep colors and rich detail. However, I think I'll find it of limited use in automotive photography. While ultra-wide lenses can do some cool things with cars, the kind of closeups necessitated by the close quarters of a car show will have the usual wide angle distortion that only works under some circumstances. Also, the lens is a monster in size and weight, and I can't imagine lugging it and my D FA 28-105 around a concours for three or four hours.

Anyway, here are some more shots of my car patiently waiting for me to stop playing with my new lens.

Jer

Views: 609
10-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent!!!!

What focal length is your favorite for cars/bikes?
I used to prefer the Nikkor 180f2.8 EDIF back in film days. My 1002.8 today just is the same

Hang up and DRIVE!
10-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GEEEEZZZ!! What a beautiful series. You may be tired of shooting this wonder of wonders and miracle of miracles, but I can assure you, each viewing is very special and appreciated.

You do such a stellar job of photographing this auto with perfect angles and a variety of venues with so many complementary components. You are Professional Grade.

Cheers and thanks again for the awesome treat.

TT
10-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Excellent!!!!

What focal length is your favorite for cars/bikes?
I used to prefer the Nikkor 180f2.8 EDIF back in film days. My 1002.8 today just is the same

Hang up and DRIVE!
Hey, Mike - thanks much!

With my K-1, I've found my D FA 28-105 to be a terrific all around lens for shooting cars - in large part because it has that 100m FL you mention. Occasionally, I use my DA 300/4 at a distance; the shallow DOF really isolates the car from its surroundings and gives the photo the "compressed" effect that can be really cool (something I stumbled upon accidentally). This sort of thing has to be staged under most circumstances, so the 300 is only a once-in-a-while thing.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
GEEEEZZZ!! What a beautiful series. You may be tired of shooting this wonder of wonders and miracle of miracles, but I can assure you, each viewing is very special and appreciated.

You do such a stellar job of photographing this auto with perfect angles and a variety of venues with so many complementary components. You are Professional Grade.

Cheers and thanks again for the awesome treat.

TT
Thanks, Tony, for such gracious comments - much appreciated!

Jer

10-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I know what you mean.

I'm not photographing as much this year, covid restrictions , no events and a week ago...total shoulder replacement. I have a new ball and joint, so there will be inactivity for awhile, as the replacement is my right shoulder and I'm right dominant.

Good pix of the Porsche. I have the Pentax 24-70 f 2.8 and what a heavy combo attached to the K1, battery grip it is. Think I prefer the lighter 100 macro and 28-105. And this was before my operation.

But once my new ball and joint is 'broken in' , maybe the K1 won't be such a heavy combo with 24-70 attached.

Les
10-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know what you mean.

I'm not photographing as much this year, covid restrictions , no events and a week ago...total shoulder replacement. I have a new ball and joint, so there will be inactivity for awhile, as the replacement is my right shoulder and I'm right dominant.

Good pix of the Porsche. I have the Pentax 24-70 f 2.8 and what a heavy combo attached to the K1, battery grip it is. Think I prefer the lighter 100 macro and 28-105. And this was before my operation.

But once my new ball and joint is 'broken in' , maybe the K1 won't be such a heavy combo with 24-70 attached.

Les
Hey, Les - take care of that shoulder!!

Glad you like the shots. I haven't seen a 24-70 in the flesh, but if it's anything like the size of my 15-30, it's one big brute.

Regarding auto photography, this year I made it to the Houston New Car Auto Show in January, and . . . . . . that's it. No Keels and Wheels Concours, No Porsche Club Concours, No Mecum Auction, No Local Car Shows . . . . No Nuthin'.

Hope we get past this next year!

Jer
10-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Three very nice imaged Jer, love the second one and the car isn't bad neither.

10-15-2020, 05:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Three very nice imaged Jer, love the second one and the car isn't bad neither.
Thanks very much, Heinrich!

Jer