Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Type of “Inchworm” maybe
Lens: HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Emma Rose Elliston Park NY ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Mr. Robin, 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM

This is one of those silk worm/caterpillar things that hang from trees. To the naked eye they seem to float in circles but I’m happy the camera and lens combo could depict the strand of silk. I laughed out loud a few times while taking this picture.
I had to move really close and actually touch the strand of silk just above the worm with the upper section of the flash ring in order to stabilize its swinging movement (or so I thought). Because as soon as I touched the silk it began spinning violently in what appeared to be some sort of silly defense move.
I would love to hear from people owning both the 35mm macro and the 100mm macro. I love the rendering of this 35mm lens but having to get this close to my subject causes all kinds of other issues. Would the 100mm macro be the solution?
Thanks in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 261
10-14-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Type of “Inchworm” maybe

Larva starting to pupate.
Next week adulthood happens!

As far as FL........so personal. As I’ve previously was a film guy, the 75mm nikkor was the lens! Today I shoot the 100(170) and don’t jam up close...... pluses and minuses you will see both sides
Hang up and DRIVE!

Last edited by MikeMcE; 10-14-2020 at 08:04 PM.
10-14-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Larva starting to pupate.
Next week adulthood happens!
So. you think this is the beginning of making a cocoon?
That is an usual and interesting sight.
10-15-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So. you think this is the beginning of making a cocoon?
That is an usual and interesting sight.
Most likely...
When the caterpillars grow enough, you will notice that they are looking for a place to build their cocoon, which will serve as a convenient place to turn from a caterpillar into a chrysalis.

Most of the larva's body weight is liquid silk, which it secretes with two glands that are on both sides of his body. Once the caterpillar secretes liquid silk, it creates a long continuous fiber around itself.

10-15-2020, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Robin Quote
I love the rendering of this 35mm lens but having to get this close to my subject causes all kinds of other issues. Would the 100mm macro be the solution?
I would love to have a copy of that lens if I could afford it. I do have a Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 Macro:
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I got it used at a very reasonable price. I've been super happy with it. You have to get used to the very shallow depth-of-field at close focusing distances unless you stop the aperture way down. The lens is so sharp that you can use f/16 and f/22 with very little noticeable diffraction softening. With an overall user rating of 9.73, I consider it a 'pro' grade lens. Here's some samples:
IMKP0340 1200x800crop - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/98359-apet-sure/albums/13106-nat...ure125771.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/98359-apet-sure/albums/13106-nat...ure125655.html

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 10-15-2020 at 01:10 PM.