Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Water and 2 for c&c
Posted By: maritimer, 11-09-2008, 12:20 AM

Got out last week to a spot I hadn't been to in years, and thankfully, it was the same as I remembered. Hope you like these ; c&c always appreciated.

· k10d · 18mm · 1/6 · F13 ·

· k10d · 55mm · 1/3 · F16 ·

· k10d · 18mm · 0.700s · F19 ·

This one is from this afternoon.

· k10d · 80mm · 1/180 · F4.5 ·

These next two, ( also from today ) I wouldn't mind hearing if they are bad or not. Been working on my DOF shots a bit lately and thought I should maybe offer some up, see if I'm doing alright or not. Thanks for looking and, again, thanks for any c&c offered.

· k10d · 200mm · 1/60 · F5.6 ·

· k10d · 200mm · 1/60 · F5.6 ·

Views: 1,950
11-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I like the third one in your waterfall series, that big splash of white makes a dramatic picture. I also like the following shot, the landscape with the little islands, great feeling of solitude in all that space. Shame the sky was a bit blah but you can't exactly carry blow up clouds in your kit for occasions like that.

The fifth shot has a pleasant look about it and the bokeh is not too harsh but F5.6 still gives you quite a large DOF and so there is not so much separation between the subject and the background. You really need to get to the F2.8 and larger range to really make a shot like that pop.
The final shot is very pretty but again 5.6 is till quite a small aperture for this kind of shot. It would have been nice to see the central stem in sharp focus and the other two creating nice OOF bokeh in the foreground.
Good effort though for both of those last two.
11-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks very much for the comments Damn Brit, much appreciated. A good zoom is on the ordering table cause it does kinda drive me nuts that I can only go down to 5.6 with the one I have.

The last shot, I was trying to have all 3 stems in focus but I just couldn't nail it. Maybe I should have tried with the 18-55mm and just stood closer.... food for thought for next time. Thanks a bunch again
11-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really like the last two.. Awaesome shots. Water falls can be tricking. Like Gary #3 is the best of the bunch for me. JIMBO

11-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words Jimbo, glad you like them. Weird how friends / family like #2 in the water series and all my photographer friends like #3
11-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to agree with your friends. I like number 2 for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, It's a better exposure. There is a lot less blown out water and yet you still kept the water soft. I personally prefer the shooting angle and the composition. Last the 3rd one has a large blown out section right in the dead center. It is hard to explore the rest of the image (like bright headlights at night). The 2nd image has the water crossing the frame at a diagonal and allows easier exploration of the scene.

The shots could use a little WB adjusting IMO, maybe a little warming up. They seem to have a touch of harshness on my screen.

With the pine cone shot. I like the idea. The shot is well taken and exposed but the subject is right in the center of the frame. It leaves the rest as wasted space. I might have tried a different angle and this is where a tripod makes sense. Focus on the subject and then recompose the composition to get the est look.

The last shot is good as well. I like that shot and offers 2 branches sort of framing the image. I like the background branches being blurred. I would have also tried 2 other shooting choices. One would be just as Gary mentioned and the second would be move to the right and have only 2 branches in the frame. The front one sharp and the single background one as soft.
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well thank you a ton Peter for the brain food Definitely gave me a lot to put to the test on the next time out. I really appreciate the in depth analysis in relation to composition, that will be a major help.

I, for some reason on the pine cone shot, didn't even pay attention to the fact I had it set dead centre... I should know better on that one

And, I really appreciate the feedback on the water shots. I knew there was something about that #3 one that just never sat right with me = the blown out water. I wasn't sure if it was too much ( seeing as how it's dead centre as well ) or not.

Thanks a lot guys... always appreciate your guys' advice / critique.

11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the last three shots. Sometimes simplicity and lighting work the best in photography.