Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Last autum leaves before they fall.
Lens: DA* 50-135 mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 10-19-2020, 01:41 PM

This is a lens I never used much. It is extremely prone to flare and veils easily even with a simple sunset. Taken @ 50 mm FL.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 678
10-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Ciao RICHARD,

The interweaving of the leaves is beautiful and I also really like the yellow that is typical of autumn,
maybe using the lens at the longest focal length you would have had a more blurred background.

Good shots, Mario
10-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice colours Richard.
10-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your nice comments !

Regards

10-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, this gear combination does seem to produce some very pleasing and impressive results. Wonderful color rendition, sharpness, composition and exposure. Nicely done and many thanks

for sharing.

TT
10-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I paid a fortune for this lens (1000 $, if I remember well) and it never delivered what I expected of it. The worst part was it is flare-prone to a point where taking a simple sunset picture is impossible because of the ghosts the sun creates. Biggest error of my photo life! The DA* 60-250 mm f/4 does everything better at about the same price.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-20-2020 at 01:01 PM.
10-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I paid a fortune for this lens (1000 $, if I remember well) and it never delivered what I expected of it. The worst part was it is flare-prone to a point where taking a simple sunset picture is impossible because of the ghosts the sun creates. Biggest error of my photo life! The DA* 60-250 mm f/4 does everything better at about the same price.

Regards

A most unfortunate situation to say the least. It does happen and in fact it happened to me with a Nikon 43-86mm lens that I swear, if I placed it on a shelf, it would bark at me.

I could not get passed the horrible flare, ghosting and a total inability to buy a sharp image. I made the mistake of not testing the lens in-store prior to purchasing because back then I was a true Nikon supporter and believed in Nikon's quality, no matter what the price. You can believe I wrote a scathing letter to Nikon and it was not in very polite Japanese, but straight to the point, gutter language English. However, in your case though, shelling out serious money, I wonder if you had it checked out, tested or even examined by professional technicians to hopefully uncover the reason for such horrible performance? Again, it seemed to work just fine regarding this image you posted. I believe it is very nice. Kind regards,

Tony

10-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello Tony,

I don't think there is any technical issue with this DA* 50-135 mm lens. It sports 18 lens elements and this is usually not conducive to great performance facing a point light source (internal reflections). I should have known better. OTOH, it is very sharp and permits detailed pictures when used in a "conventional" manner, like this autumn leaves image. Most of my pictures are "special-effects" according to camera makers ads, I like to include a light source in my compositions, thus the ghosting problem with a multi-element lens such as this one. My Canon G3X zoom lens has 22 elements in it and it performs much better making backlight pictures.

Regards
10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello Tony,

I don't think there is any technical issue with this DA* 50-135 mm lens. It sports 18 lens elements and this is usually not conducive to great performance facing a point light source (internal reflections). I should have known better. OTOH, it is very sharp and permits detailed pictures when used in a "conventional" manner, like this autumn leaves image. Most of my pictures are "special-effects" according to camera makers ads, I like to include a light source in my compositions, thus the ghosting problem with a multi-element lens such as this one. My Canon G3X zoom lens has 22 elements in it and it performs much better making backlight pictures.

Regards

I see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing that up.

TT
10-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are fantastic yellows and oranges Richard.
10-24-2020, 04:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your kind words, Susan.

I think I will give a second chance to this DA* zoom. My photo style has evolved considerably during the last 5 years. Knowing the limitations of the instrument, I might be able to better exploit its potential.

Regards