Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Wildlife biologists doing Saint Lawrence fish sampling, QUEBEC
Lens: FA* 80-200 mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 10-21-2020, 12:57 PM

When visiting Isle d'Orleans, I spotted these biologists doing studies on Saint Lawrence wildlife (I could hear them talking). Quebec City in the background.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 355
10-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That works nicely with the red of the person and the inflatable being echoed by the red in the ship.
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I could hear them talking
Yes. In still conditions voices it's surprising how far voices carry across water
10-22-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well done! Maybe brighten the boat and scientists a bit?
10-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello Bernard,

If I brighten the picture just a little bit, the upper portion tends to wash out. A split neutral density filter would have helped but my Cokin collection is buried deep in my camera closet. I have never used my split filters with digital cameras.

Regards

10-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello Bernard,

If I brighten the picture just a little bit, the upper portion tends to wash out. A split neutral density filter would have helped but my Cokin collection is buried deep in my camera closet. I have never used my split filters with digital cameras.

Regards
The ‘curves’ tool should enable you to brighten only parts of the photo in “PP”.
10-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The ‘curves’ tool should enable you to brighten only parts of the photo in “PP”.
Curves or, if you use Lightroom, bring up the shadows (or even blacks) without touching the rest, it should help balance things out.

One thing I find is that the curve on Pentax cameras, while true-to-life, could get some boost in the shadows.